Calculate of Average Rainfall depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hawrami

Would some be kind help me out here, and let me know how to compute the average rainfall depth;

if the rainfall givern in time increments like;

time in mints Rainfall in inches

10 1.2

25 1.5

35 2

45 1.7

60 1.0

I feel like I'm missing something, like is this supposeded to be a rate in the 2nd column or a grand total or what? Anyway, just going off of that I'd say:

(10*1.2+25*1.5+35*2+45*1.7+60*1)/(10+25+35+45+60) = 1.46286 inches

(1.2+1.5+2+1.7+1)/5 = 1.48 inches per hour because they gave you a time span of 60 minutes.

The question doesn't seem quite right. Average depth? per what unit

of time? I'm assuming the depths are incremental rather than cumulative since it eventually decreases, but this should be spelled out.

Do the times start from the previous time? ie. at t=25 min, is that 15 min from t=10 (25-10), or is it a whole new 25 min?

Are they're not either asking for or giving intensities instead of depth?

Seems like a bad question...

I agree.. I dont think this question is written out completely.. Hawrami can you post the question in its entirety

The question doesn't seem quite right.  Average depth?  per what unitof time?  I'm assuming the depths are incremental rather than cumulative since it eventually decreases, but this should be spelled out.

Do the times start from the previous time? ie. at t=25 min, is that 15 min from t=10 (25-10), or is it a whole new 25 min? 

Are they're not either asking for or giving intensities instead of depth? 

Seems like a bad question...
Thanks for your input;

The thimes starts from the previous time; on each time space there is a record on the rain gage taking readings at time intervals (not equal) for example first reading is after 10 mints, and the 2nd reading after 25 mints and son on until total time is 60 mints. Asking for avergae rainfall depth in inches. Not rainfall intensity in/hr

I will appreciate for any idea...

Best

So after 35 minutes of rain, the gage reads 2 inches and then after 45 minutes, the gage reads 1.7 inches? 0.3 inches of evaporation in 10 minutes? Wow

LOL.

Yes, thats not quite possible. Is this a made up question, or one you got from a book/reference?

Back