CA Survey exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim

Reaction score
Hi, I have B.S in chemical and M.S in civil environmental and never took survey and seismic class and have no clue about both subject but i want to get my Civil P.E!!!!!!!! how do i start studying? any book you recommend that is very basic and easy to understand?

thanks

Seismic design Review by Heiner is a course and book is available, very good, make sure you have the latest edition, previous edition are not any good for the revised test

Surveying Principiles Coumo is a good start on surveying.

Seismic design Review by Heiner is a course and book is available, very good, make sure you have the latest edition, previous edition are not any good for the revised test
Surveying Principiles Coumo is a good start on surveying.
thanks

Add to your list of reference for Surveying....Reza Mallahati ..very good...

Add to your list of reference for Surveying....Reza Mallahati ..very good...
Guys. I plan to take both surveying and seismic. I have both cuomo's and reza's books And no question reza's book Problems are more difficult than in coumos's.

Just to have an idea, In the real surveying exam are we going to face problems similar to reza's?

I dont have reza book so I cant tell, I will tell you that the survey exam is insane, the problems were really difficult and were more and exercise in trig than surveying. the drawing they provided were extreamly poor and there was alot of detail. Be able to work with x,y coordinates because that is the most difficult,

I dont have reza book so I cant tell, I will tell you that the survey exam is insane, the problems were really difficult and were more and exercise in trig than surveying. the drawing they provided were extreamly poor and there was alot of detail. Be able to work with x,y coordinates because that is the most difficult,

From my experience, and w/o an eng degree, the Hiner book is the key to passing seismic (passed 1st time), surveying is a simpler subject, but the test is fast paced and inconsistent from cycle to cycle. Use the Reza problems. Another source is the Mansour manual, great for formulas and problems. The surveying test can range from a geometry/trig test to closing a traverse and equipment theory. Older guys like myself get worn out about 2/3 through the test.

I got worn out, and the reason was it was a geometry/trig test. I just could not figure out how the expected you to do the calculation in the time given and with any accuracy.

Hi guys, what I have heard so far is that the surveying part of the PE is the most difficult to pass. People says that the best books that will help you out pass the surveying part are the books of Reza, Coumo, Mansour and Chelapati. I have heard that Chelapati has a good review.I don't have to much experiencie with surveying, and I have never take the surveying test. Among the four books mentioned before or among other surveying books , which ones are the ones that I need to buy to pass the surveying test?

Thanks

Hi guys, what I have heard so far is that the surveying part of the PE is the most difficult to pass. People says that the best books that will help you out pass the surveying part are the books of Reza, Coumo, Mansour and Chelapati. I have heard that Chelapati has a good review.I don't have to much experiencie with surveying, and I have never take the surveying test. Among the four books mentioned before or among other surveying books , which ones are the ones that I need to buy to pass the surveying test? Thanks
Reza is a must, Chelapati is very helpful , cuomo is a waste of time, no comment on Mansour as I haven't used it. Generally speaking, surverying is not difficult, you just have to pratice all the problems and get really quick with solving problems. There is no time in the actual exam for you to check reference books and find out how to solve a problem, you know how to solve them beforehand and just solve them. Best of luck!

Hi guys, what I have heard so far is that the surveying part of the PE is the most difficult to pass.
I don't know if i'd go that far... It all depends on your experience...

Most often seismic is much more difficult for people than surveying...

I read cuomo and did the problems in the back of each chapter and passed. I'm not saying cuomo is the best out there. Just that when I actually got to the test it had taught me enough to get by. I think the most important thing to study is to brush up on your geometry (which is what i used more than any book).

I agree that the Seismic and Surveying exams are difficult for those who've never taken a formal college class; however, it is possible to pass the first time around for both. I recommend starting to study at least 4 months prior to the exam. It's like training for a marathon and not ever have ran one before; it's not something you can pick up easily unless you already have that ability.

I took Hiner's class and it was helpful, but overrated. He's a great teacher and engineer, but he's on cruise control with his lectures and workbook material. The seismic exam is all about the building code and knowing where to find numbers to use in equations. It's also about the fundamentals of seismic design. This is why structural engineers ace the exam because their work is more complex than the exam problems. For the price of Hiner's class, the syllabus should be more focused on problem-oriented questions rather than theory. I imagine that most people learn quicker by solving problems and will get the most for their money that way.

As for surveying, if you're taking all 3 exams to get your PE, then your brain is mush about halfway through the exam. Many of the answers are very close in values so a best guess may not be as rewarding as the general exam. Of the 3 exams, this one was the most stressful simply because of time limits. The content is reasonable, but with only 3 minutes a question on average, it truly seperates those who studied and those who didn't.

The Seismic and Surveying exams are not as forgiving as the general exam. You have only 3 minutes a question and no time to really find things unless you know exactly where they are in your books. There's no trick to these exams other than STUDY, STUDY and STUDY! Again, if the material is brand new to you, give yourself at least 4 months and chip away at it about an hour or so every night. For those who have some seismic and surveying experience or education, then start studying about 2 months prior to the exam to get rid of the rust. These exams are not easy for the average test-taker and shouldn't be approached as such by anyone.

Yes, that is so true! Surveying exam is so fast paced. If you get one of the answers in your first try you are lucky, otherwise it is so de-motivating. Some of the problems it takes 3 minutes just to understand and comprehend the numbers especially if you are not dealing with the kind of stuff in your daily life. Anyways, if we are lucky we pass.

I think exam stratigy is very important, give the low cutoff 30 you need to skip some of the questions. There are several that have poorly drawn figures that are just too complex, you can work 3-4 easier problems in the time it takes to get these wrong.

I do believe one of the problems with surveying is people overanalyze it (for example no one should look into astronomical observations). It is fast paced, and if you're taking all three it is a lot to study for. But don't spend so much time reviewing it that you neglect more important topics.

I felt surveying had so much to do with geometry (and a little bit of transportation material) and so little to do with things that I could pull out of a book that it would've been almost impossible to study completely for it. I remember opening a book all of 3 times for the entire test (and one of those times it was the CERM, not a surveying book). So I would still recommend to read Cuomo's and work on the problems in the book (and maybe even try to figure out some shortcuts), but it will just get confusing to try and tackle hundreds of surveying problems.

This is my own 2 cents and i realize other's study habits might vary greatly. But it is what i feel is the best way to tackle the test.

With about 3 min per problem you are right about opening a book, there is not time. I think I opened a reference only a couple of times. You really have to go for the easy stuff and then see what time you have left.

the other piece of gold that dastuff is sharing is if you can study and pass all three you have my admiration, I wish I had just focused on the 8 hour and then focus on the seismic and survey. Transportation is doable, and have a good list of terms it will help.

Latest posts

Back