CA Seismic Reference Mat'ls

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA Tech

Reaction score
I did a quick search and learned a few things but still have a few questions:

I am taking the Oct '08 Environmental PE exam and have been studying all summer. All is going relatively well until I began studying for the Seismic portion a week or two ago. I was using Lindberg's Seismic Design book, 345 Solved Seismic Problems and the Sample Seismic Exam. I do not have any of the '06 IBC / '07 CBC or ASCE 7. I thought I'd be able to get them from my library but can't...and I'm in Atlanta and moving to San Fran in 2 weeks.

Has anyone ever checked any of the aforementioned out from a library? I checked the Berklee database and from a cursory search, it appears they don't stock the IBC or CBC (I'm probably wrong on that). Is there any way around purchasing these references? I am poor and moving to SF w/out a job lined up yet!

If not, I was planning on getting the '06 IBC, instead of the CBC, along with getting the ASCE 7 as since I'm not doing the Structural depth exam (plus, it's cheaper!).

Any help or advice is appreciated,

Rob

California doesn't license the environmental PE. Are you taking the Civil PE with the environmental emphasis?

For the seismic, you should use Hiner's study guide, it is the best by far.

Any good-sized city library in California should have the building codes, including the 2006 IBC and/or the 2007 CBC. They are typically shelved in the Reference Section; just ask the Reference Librarian for them. You probably won't be allowed to check them out, because they are considered reference materials, but you can study them in the library and make photocopies of the parts you need.

When I took the Seismic exam a few years ago, I photocopied parts of the 1997 UBC at my local city library (the exam was still based on the 97 UBC at that time). But in practice, I found that nearly all of the relevant info was in the Lindberg and Hiner manuals. I rarely found it necessary to consult the UBC, although I did so occasionally when something seemed unclear in the other books.

The Hiner manual, from www.seismicreview.com, was the single most valuable book for me -- more helpful than the UBC itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to say I'm taking the Civil PE exam w/ a water/wastewater focus.

It appears that Hiner is the preferred study material, but unfortunately, I have Lindburg and will stick with it. Is the Lindburg material significantly below par with respect to the Hiner workbook?

After I posted, I checked up on some libraries and they have the codes as references, so no checking them out. I then just decided to suck it up and buy the IBC 2007 and ASCE 7-05. I went w/ the IBC since I'd read that, unless you're doing the Structural depth module, the IBC will do. Plus, it was 1/3 the price of the CBC and can be applied to various states. However, the Lindberg 345 problems only relate to the CBC, which despite being based on the IBC, doesn't correlate code numbers.

Anyways, thanks for the replies y'all.

Hiner's book is the best at breaking down what is required to pass. I called it the "idiot's guide to siesmic"; you will not be a siesmic master, but you will know enough to pass. I've looked at both books (my coworker bought lindburg). You will be money ahead if you purchase Hiners book. FYI, i never took a siesmic class, a structural class, or have any structural background; my degree is not civil or structural. I just needed to pass for work. I will never design a building, but i know enough to know i shouldn't design a building. This book gives you that.

Thanks DE for the info.

After forking out over $800 in books, problems and sample exams, I'm sticking with the Seismic material I already have. If a second effort is req'd, I'll get the Hiner.

I hope that's a decision I don't have to make!

Back to studying...

Latest posts

Back