CA Seismic Exam Review Course vs. Self Study

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awwyeah

Reaction score
So I DID NOT pass my SEISMIC EXAM last Oct 09. I studied by myself off of:

Seismic Design of Building Structures, 9th, Lindburg

345 Solved Seismic Design Problems, 5th, Baradar

2007 CBC

ASCE 7-05 Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures

The other posts on Review Courses are old. I wanted to take Heiner's class, but it looks like it is not offered for the April 09 exam in So Cal. I want to know if anyone has taken any of these or think they're worth the $ as opposed to self study. This is what I've seen available:

ASCE YMB Seismic 1-day $175 +$90 for text Heiner

M.P. Review 2-day $375 +0 text included

Professional Engineering Services (PES) Dr. Mansour/ 4-day/28 hr $495 + $0 text included

Irvine Institute (IIT) Seismic Principals 4-day/24 hr $475 + $125 text

PPI Special Seismic Accelerated 1-day $350 or $545.75 including text

PPI Special Seismic Comprehensive 2-day $600 or $782.75 including text

Am I missing any other courses?

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I think having the Hiner workbook is a must but I wonder about the value of a 1 day in such a broad topic. I just dont have the time to drive to OC so I am on my own, I think I will spend more time than most studying and working problems.

What area were you diffecent in on your evaluation?

I passed the Seismic by self-study with Hiner Seismic Design Workbook. Eventhough you attended the seminar or whatever (webinar) still that all depends on you. Know your strengths and weaknesses and start from there. You can make it.

It is all up to you. Good luck.

2007 CBC

The other posts on Review Courses are old. I wanted to take Heiner's class, but it looks like it is not offered for the April 09 exam in So Cal. I want to know if anyone has taken any of these or think they're worth the $ as opposed to self study. This is what I've seen available:

Professional Engineering Services (PES) Dr. Mansour/ 4-day/28 hr $495 + $0 text included

I took the MP review course and i dont think it was that great for seismic..i studied most of the stuff before i go to the class so the class was just basic review. I think its better if you study on your own. just make sure you have the Hiner notes and the 345 solved problems..i think you'll be just fine...the text they give in in the MP is useless...i dodnt even use it since its about 450 pages and no idex in the back.

good luck

The reason I am considering taking a review course is because last time I started studying 2 months before the exam... The first month I studied 3 days a week for 3 hours a day... the last month it was 5 days a week for 4-6 hours a day... and still didn't pass... )=

I was listed as Deficient in Seismic Data and Seismic Design Criteria

I ordered the Heiner Workbook today... I'll look at that first before I sign up for a review course.

If you have Hiner's workbook, you'll be well-prepared for the exam after doing all of the problems at least twice, if not 3 times. Remember, if you correctly answer about 35 out of the 50 questions, you'll pass.

2007 CBC

2007 CBC

Seismic Design, related codes, etc are complex subjects, more so for others that are not in Structures and Geotechnical. IIT has been offering seminars in these specialized areas for obtaining CA licenses since 1973 and developed a great set of manuals appropriate to for these specialized licenses. You are encouraged to consider taking our 24 hour 4 day Seminar taught by Jeremy Welton S.E. Details and enrollment procedures are given on our website www.irvine-institute.org. All our programs are webcast worldwide and can be attended live on site, accessed live off-site or access archives 24/7 for repeat viewing. The fees you have shown above are correct. If you take our seminar and study, we guarantee that you will pass, otherwise we will give free access for another 12 months.

Thanks

cvc irvine institute

Latest posts

Back