CA new special SE exam --- CSLRE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice if they gave those of us that passed the old SEI & SEII some credit towards obtaining our SE licenses in the western states, as they did before this new NCEES 16 hour SE exam. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they count the SEII and require you to take the old California special seismic exam (SEIII)?? Why can't they just do that for us that already have the SE license from taking the old SE test. Count the old SEII and still require us to take the new CSLRE? Requiring us to retake the SE exam and the CSLRE seems very unfair!

Has anyone received mail from Calif board regarding the CSLRE exam? I haven't seen any info on the website either.

It would be nice if they gave those of us that passed the old SEI & SEII some credit towards obtaining our SE licenses in the western states, as they did before this new NCEES 16 hour SE exam. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they count the SEII and require you to take the old California special seismic exam (SEIII)?? Why can't they just do that for us that already have the SE license from taking the old SE test. Count the old SEII and still require us to take the new CSLRE? Requiring us to retake the SE exam and the CSLRE seems very unfair!
They still were giving us "credit" for passing the SEI and II by allowing us to take the SEIII. As a matter of fact, they are offering that one more time as well (October 15th for me in WA)..

A lot of notice was given if anyone cared to look for the new exams and regulations, nothing was kept a secret. Does it suck for me if I dont pass the SEIII and I want to be a SE in CA or WA? Sure, but with the changing of exams comes new regulations... that's life.

It is your responsibility as a professional engineer to stay on top of the new regulations and requirements not the Board's.

There are two big developments on CSLRE exam.

Last week Gov Jerry Brown signed a bill eliminating the state-specific SE exam. Yesterday, I received a FEDEX mail from California board including a SE state specific take-home exam!!! The letter from the board states that the current California law requires a state specific SE exam. I called the board but no response yet.

Anybody in the similar situation?

Sounds contradictory, but great news either way!!
Well, getting an already-cancelled-exam-in-the-future feels weird and it is not fair. I already passed the 16hr test and I am subjected to this extra exam. I guess, the upcoming October 16hr exam takers probably won't have to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legislation passed during this last session does not go into effect until January 1, 2012 which means that the current language is still in effect at this time. People applying during this timeframe are still required by law to pass a state specific exam in addition to the national exam.

The people that passed the 16 hours national in April are eligible for the new exam that was recently provided and anyone that passes the upcoming October 2011 exam will be required to complete the new CSLRE as well due to the law that was in effect at that time.

Beginning January, 2012 new applicants for the SE license will be required to take and pass a state specific structural exam.

Ric Moore

Here's some more info on this via a SEAOC email I have just recieved:

California eliminates its use of the state-specific SE exam

Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, as part of their licensing requirements, prospective structural engineers will be tested using only the national 16-hour Structural exam, as California will no longer offer its own state-specific, eight-hour SE exam.

Governor Jerry Brown on Monday, Oct. 3 approved the change by signing Senate Bill 543 (Steinberg), which reauthorizes and sets requirements for many state boards and commissions, including the Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists.

Carl Josephson of SEAOSD, and Chair of SEAOC’s Professional Licensing and Certification Committee, explained that California will join the rest of the states in using the 16-hour exam recently deployed by National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).

“This should make reciprocity easier for California SEs,” Josephson said. “This also means that California SEs should take a more active role in writing and grading the NCEES SE exam to assure that the exam is relevant and applicable to our practice.”’

Several California SEs currently work with NCEES in writing this new exam, with an additional few involved in grading. However, Josephson said, more are needed. NCEES is sponsoring an introductory item-writing session in Los Angeles at the end of January.

“This is a great opportunity for California SEs to help the profession in a direct and meaningful way,” he added. “The people who have talked to me about their experience with the exam grading and writing tell me that it is very rewarding personally and professionally.

Those interested in more information can contact Josephson at [email protected]

SB 543 adds another significant requirement for licensure under the Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists: a full set of fingerprints, to facilitate criminal background checks. The requirement will apply only to new applicants, not returning licensees. The bill also reauthorized the Board itself until Jan. 1, 2016.

For More information on SB 543 go to: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0501-0550/sb_543_bill_20111003_chaptered.html

-----

SEAOCC Contact: Don Schinske - (916) 447-1198, [email protected]

Legislation passed during this last session does not go into effect until January 1, 2012 which means that the current language is still in effect at this time. People applying during this timeframe are still required by law to pass a state specific exam in addition to the national exam.

The people that passed the 16 hours national in April are eligible for the new exam that was recently provided and anyone that passes the upcoming October 2011 exam will be required to complete the new CSLRE as well due to the law that was in effect at that time.

Beginning January, 2012 new applicants for the SE license will be required to take and pass a state specific structural exam.

Ric Moore
Does this mean that the state specific exam is another structural exam administered by California? This seems contradictory to Kevo's post. If it is just a take home exam in the future, that's easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the pdf FAQ from kevo's post earlier leads me to believe there will be some sort of take-home exam on the California laws pertaining to structural engineering. I'm pretty sure I had to take something similar when I got my PE over there.

Back