CA Government Engineering ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBin517

Reaction score
I am a PE in Michigan. We just visited family in central California and they were trying to encourage me to pursue California licensure and move out there.

But I’m a public works engineer and I enjoy the work. I really don’t want to go back to consulting but I’ve heard California engineers say they can’t buy a house if they work for the government. Is that true?

Which areas of California are the most affordable for government engineers?

For the purpose of comparison, I presently make about $60k per year and our new house in the burbs (4 BR / 4000 sf / half acre) cost $240k.

Thanks in advance.

I am a PE in Michigan. We just visited family in central California and they were trying to encourage me to pursue California licensure and move out there.
But I’m a public works engineer and I enjoy the work. I really don’t want to go back to consulting but I’ve heard California engineers say they can’t buy a house if they work for the government. Is that true?

Which areas of California are the most affordable for government engineers?

For the purpose of comparison, I presently make about $60k per year and our new house in the burbs (4 BR / 4000 sf / half acre) cost $240k.

Thanks in advance.
Assuming we ever get a budget, these will be our salaries -

http://www.pecg.org/2008-increases.htm

A PE is generally an automatic Associate or Range D level. With experience you can sometimes get hired in at the top sometimes, that's up to you to negotiate. After you've been around a year or so you can try to become a senior. Or if your experience is right you can get hired in as a senior.

Prices are going down, but it is still very pricey.

Anywhere near a big coastal city, forget about it. You can afford a house, but nothing like you mention here.

But inland, or even in Sacramento you can afford a reasonable house. Once again, not a 4000 sq footer. The only Gvt employee who can afford that is Arnold. Well, maybe a few others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back