Building a Fire Pit

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My city recently started requiring a $30 permit to have a backyard fire. The permit is good for the whole summer, but backyard fires probably wouldn't occur enough to make it worthwhile, especially not worth the trek to city hall during business hours to procure a permit. Most people just ignore the rule. . . Not sure how the city plans to enforce the permit rule. I think it's over the top silly.
And what city would that be? Madison? LOL

My city recently started requiring a $30 permit to have a backyard fire. The permit is good for the whole summer, but backyard fires probably wouldn't occur enough to make it worthwhile, especially not worth the trek to city hall during business hours to procure a permit. Most people just ignore the rule. . . Not sure how the city plans to enforce the permit rule. I think it's over the top silly.
And what city would that be? Madison? LOL
Nah, I'm in La Granolaville La CrosseThe idea was to raise revenue. . .

It's a small city with big city identity problems.

Just saw this on the Chive and thought that it'd be one way to get a nice fire pit in the yard:

now-thats-brilliant-13.jpg

RG, does your setup run on natural gas?

One of the first outdoor projects I do at the new house will be adding a fire pit. I hadn't really considered doing a natural gas one just because I was planning on adding it as a DIY project and really never planned on playing with gas lines. The house has external hookups for gas already (for a grill) so it could be done, if there is a pretty simple process to do it myself. I'm not hiring someone to build one for me though.

Dex, that's a really sweet setup. Maybe down the road, when all the other projects that our house will need are out of the way, I'll get around to installing something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is not ng. It's just retaining wall blocks in a circle.... Sorry I keep forgetting to post a picture when I get home

^^

that sounds pretty much like what I was planning to build. Now that I think about it I'd probably prefer a wood burning one anyway.

There are a few things we like about our Gas fireplace over a wood-burning one. We can turn it off/on instantaneously, control the flame size, use it during a fire ban, don't have to store firewood, and the gas for it is really cheap. But no matter how quick/easy/cheap it is, there is nothing like the smell of a good wood fire...

Just saw this on the Chive and thought that it'd be one way to get a nice fire pit in the yard:

now-thats-brilliant-13.jpg

I like that, but am trying to make the HOA not notice. End result - I'll probably have to avoid any standing structures. I think the pit with a nice border and crushed stone is the way to go for the seating area around it, though.

That is pretty sweet. I like some of the projects they detail on that forum. I've copied a few myself.

Back