Boys have ding-dongs and girls have hoo-has

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Why can't they just ask her to drop her shorts?

Controversy as Semenya wins women's 800m

art.semenya.jpg

(CNN) -- South African teenager Caster Semenya won the women's 800 meters gold medal at the World Athletics Championships in Berlin, just hours after the sport's governing body asked for the 18-year-old's gender to be verified.Semenya celebrates her gold, which came just hours after the IAAF called for a gender test on the athlete.

Semenya celebrates her gold, which came just hours after the IAAF called for a gender test on the athlete.

Semenya crushed her rivals by streaking away to secure victory in a time of one minute 55.45 seconds -- the best time in the world this year.

Defending champion Janeth Jepkosgei of Kenya took the silver with Briton Jennifer Meadows claiming bronze.

However, the race was run amid controversy following the annoucement by the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF).

"The gender verification test is an extremely complex procedure," said IAAF spokesman Nick Davies -- who revealed the question of Semenya's gender was first raised after her astonishing African junior championship displays.

"In the case of this athlete, following her breakthrough in the African junior championships, the rumors, the gossip were starting to build-up," Davies added to reporters.

There have been precedents in such cases, the most famous being that of Polish athletics great Stella Walsh, who won Olympic gold in the 100 yards at the 1932 Olympics and silver in the same event in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

However, after she was shot dead during an armed robbery in 1980, the subsequent autopsy revealed she possessed male genitalia, although she also had female characteristics as well.

... [edited for brevity]

It's probably all the steriods (or some other weird drug) that are making her sound like a man and have all those muscles. Isn't Usain Bolt from the same country? He's the guy that won the 100m in the Olympics, but pulled back before finishing so that his record win wouldn't seem so obvious he was on drugs.

Isn't Usain Bolt from the same country?
Errrr...

...not even close. Usain Bolt is Jamaican. This "woman" is South African. They are totally different hemispheres.

Why can't they just ask her to drop her shorts?
I would imagine the gender verification test is to determine if "she" has a Y chromosome.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is kind of sad that even something that should be a blatent as gender is distorted these days. It will be up to some scientific board to develop a criteria of what will legally be classified as male and female. Dleg is right though, first start with the basics.

Semen? Ya!
like JR said is that an "I want it" or an "I got it"

it is kind of sad that even something that should be a blatent as gender is distorted these days. It will be up to some scientific board to develop a criteria of what will legally be classified as male and female. Dleg is right though, first start with the basics.

like JR said is that an "I want it" or an "I got it"

Or will we start seeing a Mens 800m, a Womens 800m, and a Transgendered 800m?

it is kind of sad that even something that should be a blatent as gender is distorted these days.
On a sort of related point, perhaps we aren't that far away from doing away with having to separate the men's and women's for some sporting events. Earlier this month Kara Goucher (US Olympian) was the overall winner of a half marathon. She beat the first male competitor by 20 seconds.

http://competitor.com/uncategorized/gouche...-half-marathon/

on a personal note, I was excited/proud that in the last race I ran I only lost to one girl. And even she finished just a few steps ahead of me. It was fantastic motivation running behind her. :dancingnaughty:

on a personal note, I was excited/proud that in the last race I ran I only lost to one girl.
Remember the running joke on Magnum PI that he lost a surfski (whatever you called those kayak looking things) race to a 12 year old girl?

Back