Books recommended

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safron

Reaction score
Hello again all,

I was hoping someone could give me some good tips on books to get for a beginner in Civil Eng. I just finished my associates so I am transferring next fall to univ. I did a search on "books" and mostly test questions popped up.

I got so much information about civil engineering and its environmental careers from some of you here, i figured you might know some good books. I just wanna be ahead and ready to take on class next fall.

Thanks

Hello again all,
I was hoping someone could give me some good tips on books to get for a beginner in Civil Eng. I just finished my associates so I am transferring next fall to univ. I did a search on "books" and mostly test questions popped up.

I got so much information about civil engineering and its environmental careers from some of you here, i figured you might know some good books. I just wanna be ahead and ready to take on class next fall.

Thanks
Are you talking about books for Civil Engineering classes? If so, they usually include the required textbooks on the syllabus when you start each course. If you are talking about study material for the Civil PE Exam, then I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from members of this forum.

Hello again all,

Thanks
Are you talking about books for Civil Engineering classes? If so, they usually include the required textbooks on the syllabus when you start each course. If you are talking about study material for the Civil PE Exam, then I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from members of this forum.
No, not for class, I already know what books I will need for class. I just want to know if anyone had some good recommendations for books that they thought were interesting.

Just something to read before my classes start and maybe some books that focus on certain specialties of Civil Eng. I know the choices of careers one can choose in CE are very broad.

Someone on a different forum told me to get Foundation Analysis (Civil engineering and engineering mechanics series)

I am just trying to stay informed, I have quite some time before fall 2010 so i wanna stay fresh.

I know a series of great books that quality engineers read: The Lord of the Rings. :p

I know a series of great books that quality engineers read: The Lord of the Rings. :p
i found a picture book about 3 hobbits carrying around a wedding ring, that's close enough to LOTR. it's a pop up too!

i went to barnes and noble to ask if they had any descriptive geometry books and the lady didn't even know what that was. i'm just gonna take descrip at Comm college. in jan to keep me occupied.

For fun I would recommend the devil in the white city. It is a sweet book that juxtaposes what may be the first serial killer to the Chicago world fair. Very good read.

For work, i would recommend The lord of the rings.

One thing i would mention is that it is much more important to be well rounded than it is to understand every topic CE has to offer. If you have time before class it may be worthwhile to pick up a sweet magazine or good book. Not another text book.

Actually, I think the Lindeburg books are great, even for someone like you. The only problem is by the time you're ready to take the PE exam you may need to buy a new one.

Who the hell would read an engineering book for fun?...but if you insist.. I suggest you get a copy of the AASHTO A Policy of Geometric Design of Highways and Streets, 2004 version of course...start memorizing the "K" values and superelevation rate tables...that will put you ahead of the curve. (ha ha get it, a highway joke)

Latest posts

Back