Blew up a Bridge Today with Beaty Construction and CDI

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your environmental let you drop it into the river?  Every replacement job I had required falsework/shoring to prevent anything from getting into the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it was a historical bridge. I bet there's a lot of butt hurt going around.

historic or not it looked like a piece of carp in it's current state.  Sounds like there's no plan to rebuild so the hurt will be from anyone that used that crossing on a regular basis.

(safely) blowing sh$t up is always fun.

I guess you can argue that building a temp pad into the river to demo the bridge would  result in more harm than dropping the bride in the river & (then I am assuming they will remove it piece by piece)?

we had a steel bridge over the Chattahoochee river we had to have repainted (or "encapsulated" or some BS) cause it had lead paint & had to make sure nothing fell into the river +  a bunch of other work. paid millions to keep a historic "ped bridge" in place, how I wanted to demo the thing..

Yeah, they went through the entire historical process and they couldn't find a buyer willing to rehab or relocate it. The price was well north of 2 million bucks just to get it up to standards to hold pedestrian traffic (not even relocating and rebuild costs included). I think the load rating was 1.5 TON in its current state. Essentially, the enviro folk were okay with it dropping into the river because it was during winter and fish spawning season hadn't started yet. The locals weren't happy at all, but there is a new bypass road around that accommodates everyone, so win win in most peoples eyes. We had a drag net downstream that catches anything that breaks free, so we had our bases covered on this one

Here are some close up high def. shots that Purdue took

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rvhD27gyRg

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty tame explosion, Hollywood effects are much more dramatic

Back