Best $40 I've spent in a while

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCcarguy

Reaction score
OK...so I have to tell you all about what the kid in me did.

I purchased this remote helicopter

http://www.trendtimes.com/3ch-metal-rc-hel...b-charging.html

I'm telling you, this is probably the best $40 I've spent in many years! and this thing takes a beating too. I've run it into the ceiling fans here in the office a few times, and once it was knocked down a flight of stairs. It will fly for about 10-15 minutes on a charge, and will recharge fairly quickly. I think 3-4 other guys in the office have bought one or are thinking about it, so I just had to share with you all.

OK...so I have to tell you all about what the kid in me did.
I purchased this remote helicopter

http://www.trendtimes.com/3ch-metal-rc-hel...b-charging.html

I'm telling you, this is probably the best $40 I've spent in many years! and this thing takes a beating too. I've run it into the ceiling fans here in the office a few times, and once it was knocked down a flight of stairs. It will fly for about 10-15 minutes on a charge, and will recharge fairly quickly. I think 3-4 other guys in the office have bought one or are thinking about it, so I just had to share with you all.
Cool. I think I might have to get one or two of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I (I mean my son) picked up one of those at Oshkosh this Summer. Kind of fun to fly around the office. Makes the dog crazy though.

That's pretty cool. I bought a slightly more expensive one ($99) a few years ago, and it was a pain in the ass to fly. It was a little too big and noisy for indoors, and the controls were essentially useless. The tail rotor ended up breaking off on one particularly hard landing, and I didn't even bother trying to fix it.

I may have to get one of these to get the satisfaction that I wanted out of the other one (just being able to sit around a fly a helicopter around my house).

^They've come a long way in the last few years. I'm starting to look at getting back into RC since I got this thing. A buddy of mine has a small airplane he can take off and land from his desk.

I had one of the nine dollar jobs that was awesome for attacking the ceiling, but not much else.

^^.....ooooohhh...I want one of those too!
I'll ask him who makes the one he has next time I talk to him. His home-office is in his basement and it's a pretty big room. The helicopter is fine in mine but I don't think I have enough room to keep an airplane from bouncing off the walls.

I'll ask him who makes the one he has next time I talk to him. His home-office is in his basement and it's a pretty big room. The helicopter is fine in mine but I don't think I have enough room to keep an airplane from bouncing off the walls.
oooohhh.... a lair?

Cool - I might have to give that one a shot. I bought a pair of those cheap little "air hogs" copters two Christmases ago "for my son", and like Capt. Worley said, they weren't good for much beyond attacking the ceiling.

^Oooooohhh........

The answer will be "yes". But only because it is tiny and has a huge power to mass ratio.

vgphmh.gif

That site also has a pretty cool looking Predator UAV for sale under the RC planes section.

I (I mean my son) picked up one of those at Oshkosh this Summer. Kind of fun to fly around the office. Makes the dog crazy though.
How old is your son? I'm thinking about getting one of these for my 7 year old nephew for Christmas (they are only $35 each if you buy 2 at the same time), but I'm not sure if he'd be able to control it.

^He'll be six in December. He's pretty much binary on the controls and if you just jam the throttle open on the thing, it hits the ceiling pretty quick. With a little practice, I think a seven year old could probably handle it.

Back