Bad Conduct Discharge

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SapperPE said:
I received a Bad Conduct Discharge from the Marine Corps for being AWOL. Since, I have worked towards an undergraduate degree in civil engineering. I am about to graduate and am wondering if this will affect me in any way? Knowledge is greatly appreciated.
This is going to stay with you for a long time, but it isn't insurmountable. My advice is to be open about it. Don't try to hide it, but then again don't flaunt it. Just be humble about it and frank, if it even comes up.

I would also avoid looking for a job with company's that do any military contracting or have a large population of combat veterans that do the hiring.
How could I surmount it?
engneer20,

My advice is

1. Try to get the discharge upgraded.

2. If the application asks about the military or any felony conviction state the truth. If you dont, and they find out, you will be terminated immediately.

3. If you get an interview, tell them out right. Be honest and contrite. No excuses, but let them know what you learned and how that will apply to the job you are interviewing for. If they like you, this will go a long way.

4. I would not apply for a government job or a job that contracts with the DOD (as they may require a security clearance that you cannot get).

When I worked in the private sector for small firms, that was not even asked in any interviews, but I think you should come right out with it.
Thank you
You mean, let them know even if they dont ask?

I would....but that is a decision you'll have to make on your own.

SapperPE said:
I received a Bad Conduct Discharge from the Marine Corps for being AWOL. Since, I have worked towards an undergraduate degree in civil engineering. I am about to graduate and am wondering if this will affect me in any way? Knowledge is greatly appreciated.
This is going to stay with you for a long time, but it isn't insurmountable. My advice is to be open about it. Don't try to hide it, but then again don't flaunt it. Just be humble about it and frank, if it even comes up.

I would also avoid looking for a job with company's that do any military contracting or have a large population of combat veterans that do the hiring.
How could I surmount it?
engneer20,

My advice is

2. If the application asks about the military or any felony conviction state the truth. If you dont, and they find out, you will be terminated immediately.

3. If you get an interview, tell them out right. Be honest and contrite. No excuses, but let them know what you learned and how that will apply to the job you are interviewing for. If they like you, this will go a long way.

4. I would not apply for a government job or a job that contracts with the DOD (as they may require a security clearance that you cannot get).

When I worked in the private sector for small firms, that was not even asked in any interviews, but I think you should come right out with it.
Thank you

I hear you. Maybe that is what I should do. And maybe that is the ONLY way that Ill ever find peace as far as in the workplace.

I really, really appreciate your input. Thank you for your kindness.

Marine - hopefully you will find peace in your heart - the merciful will receive mercy. You need to forgive yourself, Chief. All of us have much to repent for in this life. I wish you well.

SapperPE said:

How could I surmount it?
engneer20,

My advice is

Thank you

I hear you. Maybe that is what I should do. And maybe that is the ONLY way that Ill ever find peace as far as in the workplace.

I really, really appreciate your input. Thank you for your kindness.

Back