Bachelor of Arts plus FE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsoneye

The Dude
Reaction score
Hey,

I am curious. Would getting a BA in Engineering as opposed to a BS be tantamount to career suicide in engineering despite passing the FE?

My life is in the balance here....

Thanks

How does one get a BA in engineering? I always thought it to be a science degree.

My school and many others offer the option.

I am sure others have done it. I am curious if there are dire consequences if I don't get a BS.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

May be a bit harder to get a job right out of school, but once you've got a few years of experience to build a resume, most of that is moot at that point.

thesis work for a BS...that's a load of BS. I didn't have to do a thesis for my BS...that was saved for masters and PhD students.

An interesting read at WPI: Liberal Arts and Engineering
And if you have the time, maybe this from RPI
Interesting reads. I cam across the WPI one before. The RPI one is refreshing. I suppose we don't have enough training in the art of engineering, which truly describes the craft I believe.

I hope to hear from someone on these boards who took this route or knows of anyone who has done a BA in engineering and become a PE or works as an engineer.

Thanks.

Well, the next few questions are:

1. Is your degree ABET accredited?

2. Will your state allow you to sit for the PE exam with your degree + experience?

I'd check ABET's website and contact your state licensing board for the next step.

Well, the next few questions are:
1. Is your degree ABET accredited?

2. Will your state allow you to sit for the PE exam with your degree + experience?

I'd check ABET's website and contact your state licensing board for the next step.

1. The BA at my school is not accredited.

2. Since I am still in college I do not know what state I will live in once I am working, etc

I have taken the same courses as a BS at my school. The only difference is the thesis. I actually have more course credits than necessary for either track. The thesis is what makes the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
I am curious. Would getting a BA in Engineering as opposed to a BS be tantamount to career suicide in engineering despite passing the FE?

My life is in the balance here....

Thanks
You may want to check with your state but from what I remember, you are not an EI until after you had passed the FE and had graduated with your degree. It seems like the degrees allowed by different states differ. From what I can see on the Florida web site, it specifies BS. NM seems to be more lenient where it more talks about approved programs so this is something you will want to look into for your state. If the state does not recognize the BA for EI certification then passing the FE is really not worth that much. Even if they allow you your FE, check state requirements for the PE. I don't know that Florida accepts a BA without special review.

If you want to make sure that you are able to sail smoothly through getting your EI and PE, then I would recommend the BS. If your state allows the BA and you are never planning on moving then a BA may be just fine. Even if you were able to get a PE in one state, it may not transfer to others if you were to need to move or do work elsewhere.

Depending on what field you want to work in, some companies won't even really look at you without a MS (I work for one). If it were me, I would likely hire a BS over a BA.

A little extra work early on really does payoff 10 fold later on...

Then that would make it a no brainer for me... You have spent this much time working on your degree and you want to skimp out at the last minute? Do the thesis, suck it up and never have any problems in the future. Getting a non accredited degree is really nothing more than a certificate of attendance in the eyes of the state boards.

If your school's BS program is ABET accredited, I'd jump tracks today; especially if you're still enrolled there. Take the CYA insurance now.

If you're determined to stick to the BA, you might ask if your state board will do a degree audit for consideration.

2. Since I am still in college I do not know what state I will live in once I am working, etc

I have taken the same courses as a BS at my school. The only difference is the thesis. I actually have more course credits than necessary for either track. The thesis is what makes the difference.
Can you get a dual degree? I can't think of a single benefit to having a BA over a BS... so if they require a project (I'm guessing it's not really the same as a graduate-level thesis), get 'er done and call it a day.

I agree with everyone -- get the degree that is accredited!! It will save you so much pain! I took the easy way out when I was in my undergrad and switched from a BSE in Mechanical Engineering to a BS in Interdisciplinary Engineering (Don't ask me why, I was(am) an IDIOT I know). The latter was not accredited, and it was very difficult for me to even sit for the FE exam in many states (I moved around a bit because I was in the Air Force).

Luckily when I got my MS in Engineering Management is actually WAS accredited (which is highly unusual I know, but true nonetheless!) and Texas allowed me to sit for both the FE and PE because I had enough experience along with the MS.

So take it from me -- don't take the easy way out now! It will hound you later!!!

Back