AWS Codes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgsmith2_PE

Reaction score
I'm taking the construction depth module and was wondering if any of the AWS codes would help? The list of construction topics lists something about welding and testing. I figured they could throw some welding symbol or random question about RT or UT testing. Does anyone know if this type of stuff will be on the exam or if it's worth bringing the AWS codes?

Thanks.

You are definitely going to have some welding questions. The AWS manual should have every obscure welding symbol that you need.

Which AWS manual? There are about a billion of them. A2.4 covers welding symbols, but a lot of it is superfluous (if you can memorize how a welding symbol is constructed, you can often tell what process/size/pitch/finish/contour/etc is being asked for). Most code books don't offer any practical knowledge that can be applied towards anything, and most of the calculations in any of them whether it be ASME, AWS, etc are very application specific, and I'd find it hard to believe that an exam question would reference any of that.

One of the cheapest, best books on welding you could ever purchase is The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding, sold by the Lincoln Foundation. It's a hefty book, touches virtually every welding-related topic from symbols to electrical characteristics to estimating production, is DIRT CHEAP, and is often referred to as the "Welding Bible" by most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I have the 2.4 and D1.1. I just didn't know if they asked this type of stuff on the exam. Thanks for the information. I will consider getting that book you mentioned.

I dont recall a single welding question on the test, am I drawing a blank?? What section would welding question have been in??

Back