ASQ Exams?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSmith

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with the ASQ exams?

I'm prepping up for the CRE (Certified Reliability Engineer) exam next March and it looks tough. For engineering fields as focused as mine, the body of knowledge is extremely deep--especially compared to my experience with the PE exam materials which emphasized a breadth of knowledge in an engineering domain.

Does anyone here have any experience with the ASQ exams?
I'm prepping up for the CRE (Certified Reliability Engineer) exam next March and it looks tough. For engineering fields as focused as mine, the body of knowledge is extremely deep--especially compared to my experience with the PE exam materials which emphasized a breadth of knowledge in an engineering domain.
I'm thinking of taking that exam myself. I think the key is to get a good reference because I'm pretty sure it's open book.

Actually, I went on the website and took the sample exam and got a passing score. And that was with not even knowing exactly what a lot of the stuff means (I did use the internet to research on about five questions). So assuming that sample was anything like the real thing it's nothing like a PE exam. But maybe that exam wasn't representative.

There are several good reference materials available from the Quality Council of Indiana for the CRE exam. I think I am going to use that as the basis of my study. If you are definitely taking it, then perhaps we could bounce questions back and forth until exam day?

There are several good reference materials available from the Quality Council of Indiana for the CRE exam. I think I am going to use that as the basis of my study. If you are definitely taking it, then perhaps we could bounce questions back and forth until exam day?
I'll check out those references.

I'm planning to take it but not until the March 7 exam. I'm trying to talk my boss into paying for it before I sign up. My job is Reliability related but not so statistically based. But I'd be willing to hear some of the questions you find difficult. Since you are sort of an expert in this area, I figure if I can understand those then I will be better off when I actually decide to start studying in earnest.

Sounds like a plan.

My study schedule right now is to spend 2 weeks on each of the 7 subject areas. The first week will be devoted to reviewing and understanding that section of the CRE primer from the Quality Council of Indiana. The second week will be spent working problems from their CD of problems. That will leave roughly about a month of float to allow for flexibility around the holidays. Whatever time is remaining before test time will be working sample exams and more problems from all sections from their CD.

If that doesn't prep me for this, then I'm not sure what else to do...

Benbo--Check out this thread I started on the reliability engineering boards at eng-tips.com about the CRE. In that board which is specifically for reliability engineering, the few responses have no clue about the CRE designation. Its making me question if its worth taking it at all.

Do you have any different experience?

Benbo--Check out this thread I started on the reliability engineering boards at eng-tips.com about the CRE. In that board which is specifically for reliability engineering, the few responses have no clue about the CRE designation. Its making me question if its worth taking it at all.
Do you have any different experience?
I am involved in gvt regulation of the reliability of power plants.

I recieve several reliabilty type free peridicals (UpTime, etc.) mainly related to the power industry. I also have some dealings with Reliability Inc. In the mags and organizations they all seem to know about the CRE.

However, In Industry in general, I think more people know about Six Sigma designation. Since you are already a Six Sigma Black Belt (I think) I don't know how much value a CRE would be to you. I was considering the CRE since I have no reliability certification and the CRE seems easier to get than the Six Sigma. But I don't think it is going to help me in my career much, since I am planning to stay here in state gvt. Maybe it will be a small feather in my cap.

I may end up taking this after all.

My office wants me to attend the RAMS symposium in Ft Worth this year. At that conference, ASQ is also administering the CRE exam on one morning. It may be a good excuse to get away for a few hours to roll the dice to see how I do on the qualitative questions as Im fairly certain I have the quantitative ones under control...

Back