ASHHTO Green Book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mmiller

Is this reference needed for AM Civil BREADTH portion of exam? Alot of sample probs reference it, but NCEES claims you don't need standards for AM Civil breadth? (will be taking construction depth)

Is this reference needed for AM Civil BREADTH portion of exam? Alot of sample probs reference it, but NCEES claims you don't need standards for AM Civil breadth? (will be taking construction depth)
I took the exam (transportation PM) in April 2007. Green Book might have been useful in the AM but not necessary. The same could be said of many references.

I was one of the guys with a dolly of books. A few references - I only used for a question or two when I could not quickly find the answer / material in the CERM. For each AM question, my coworker claims he (eventually) found what he needed in the CERM. But I got the morning section done in about 2.25 hours while he took the full 4 hours.

If you have it available to you, and think you may feel better bringing it, bring it. Nothing is worse than thinking you know where the answer is... and it is on a bookshelf at home.

I was also one of the guys with a handtruck with 3 crates... no regrets on what I left home.

if you have the book, or access to it I would bring it, the CERM doesnt have every chart in there, you never know what they may ask out of left field in the AM

Not necessary for the AM portion of the PE exam but may be helpful to you anyway...always seems like the answer to one question can be found in seconds by flipping to one of the tables for the morning exam. Make sure you have the CERM 11th edition....you will not be disappointed!!!

I was glad I had the Green Book for the morning portion. I feel like sometimes geometric questions can be answered quicker by referencing a table in the Green Book rather than using CERM 11th. Plus, since the AM portion of the exam covers only geometric design the Green Book is a perfect fit.

Back