ASCE 7-10 versus required ASCE 7-05 for April13 PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nafta

Reaction score
1. I can only get my hands on a full ASCE 7-10 Minimum Design Loads Manual and cannot get the ASCE 7-05 as required for the PE Structural afternoon exam.

Will that negatively impact my PE Exam? Were there a lot of changes between 7-05 and 7-10 that actually impact the level of questions on the exam?

2. I have the same issue with the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Manual. I have the latest one, but they require the earlier version. Will this make a difference on the exam?

1. I can only get my hands on a full ASCE 7-10 Minimum Design Loads Manual and cannot get the ASCE 7-05 as required for the PE Structural afternoon exam.

Will that negatively impact my PE Exam? Were there a lot of changes between 7-05 and 7-10 that actually impact the level of questions on the exam?

2. I have the same issue with the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Manual. I have the latest one, but they require the earlier version. Will this make a difference on the exam?

1. Beg, borrow or steal a copy of 7-05 (keep it legal though). The wind design criteria changed significantly between 7-05 and 7-10. There are minor changes between them in regards to the seismic criteria as well. Wind design was the major change. There also several significant layout changes between the versions.

Also, since IBC 2012 isn't on the reference list, you'll find the references between code versions are different.

Somewhere I have a spreadsheet that highlights some of the differences between versions. I'll see if I can find it and get it posted up.

2. I took the test without this reference; so I cannot comment on the changes between the versions. Hopefully someone else can chime in and shed some light on this.

Please forgive any formatting errors as tapatalk isn't as accurate as being on a regular computer.

Will this make a difference on the exam?
Nafta, I took the PE and didn't have either of the references you mention with me. I was able to correlate the needed information with other resources I had with me, e.g. AISC, ACI, etc. You're always safer with all of and the correct references, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, and try to understand the differences between yours and the previous versions if you can.

Just as an FYI, if you haven't looked into ASCE 7-10 you really should. The wind load determination is quite different. It is now LRFD based.

That being said, most of the thoughts here is to simply beg for a version of ASCE 7-05. Simply checking it out at your local library might also be an option. Most big cities have a few copies in their library system.

Good luck!

There is a significant difference between ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 7-05. However, for PE exam you may not need to use ASCE at all.

Good Luck.

I've gone through all my code files and I cannot find my ASCE comparison spreadsheet. I'm still looking though, it may be on one of the other computers. I have found my IBC comparison spreadsheet, but that doesn't help with this question.

Regardless of finding that spreadsheet, good luck with your studies and on the exam.

Back