April 2018 SE Exam Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh i realize the chances are slim, but if for some reason i were to fail i would not retest till next spring so i would have plenty of time to at least try. Similar to dating the worst they can say is no. I am encouraging another engineer in the office getting ready to fill out his application to specifically state they have never worked on nor will work on designated structure as defined by Georgia rule ..blah.. and see what happens with that.
Hey, with dating they can say #metoo and ruin your life just because they don't understand the difference between sexual harassment and being hit on. Oh well, I'm glad I'm married and not dealing with today's dating society. By the way,  I grew up with # being spoken as "pound" so "pound me too" is kind of funny to me.

I hope you passed! But brace yourself to be humbled.  I'd never failed a test either, passed all 3 CA PE exam's first try, passed gravity first try, this was my 4th attempt on lateral. 
You clearly are on a quest to trail the entire alphabet behind your name.

I've gotta say, this has been an entertaining thread to follow...I've been equally as unproductive at work refreshing this.

The pass rate is already super low. Either the cut score will be lowered or kept same. I do not believe the cut score would increase in any circumstances. 
And BTW, we got our hotness back and are at all time #7 structural thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, everyone needs to get back from lunch and talk to me. I am lonely in my consideration of this SE lateral test. It reminds me of Schrodinger's cat. Until I have seen the result, I have both passed and failed this test.

The pass rate is already super low. Either the cut score will be lowered or kept same. I do not believe the cut score would increase in any circumstances. 
And BTW, we got our hotness back and are at all time #7 structural thread. 
I agree, there is no way they would increase the cut score to allow a higher pass rate.  I have talked to the test writers and they are very proud of how hard they make the exam, they want to keep the SE title as exclusive is possible.

The test has only gotten harder over time, before LRFD days it was a three part exam and you could pass each part individually.  Now if you fail any session (morning or afternoon) you fail the whole thing.  If anything they will make the test more difficult.

They could make it more realistic....like have a question that changes its mind on what it wants, 5 times, then settles on something that is practically impossible to design.

you know, like your typical architects.
First, it would have to tell you "This is exactly what I want." Then, it would have to say "Ok, I have a revision, but it didn't change much!"

First, it would have to tell you "This is exactly what I want." Then, it would have to say "Ok, I have a revision, but it didn't change much!"
They did have some "contractor wants to cut holes in stuff" questions. 

They did have some "contractor wants to cut holes in stuff" questions. 
I have learned that my chances of keeping my lateral systems unaltered are much greater if I don't label them until the 100% set. It seems to me that the minute I label my lateral system, my clients want to either move it or cut holes in it. It is like I paint a target on it. True story.

Should be 'contractor has already swiss cheesed your framing, then got caught by an inspector.  how do you fix it?'
When did the inspectors quit doing their job? The used to make contractors tear garbage out that was obviously wrong. In my experience it has been the past 5 years when they have started dumping everything back in the engineer's lap. I usually just hold out my hand and say "I'll fix it for eleventy billion dollars." The problem either goes away or I have drinking money (only way to stay sane in this business).

The unit will only weigh roughly 1500#....here’s the cut sheet.  Unit weight = 7850#.
I'm going to start designing units for the air tonnage if they can't get me the proper cut sheets at the beginning. Oh you want a five ton unit? I'll design it as if it weighed 5 tons.

I'm pulling for you guys too 

I'm an "old fart" who just did the CA SE3 so this kind of exam is foreign to me.

Keep up hope and you will pass!!!

Back