April 2009 Geotechnical takers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chess5329

Reaction score
Geotechnical takers could you provide information regarding if the six-minutes solutions problems are similar in complexity to the depth module for the last April test.

These problems are though and some of them seem like you can run out of time just developing only a few.

Geotechnical takers could you provide information regarding if the six-minutes solutions problems are similar in complexity to the depth module for the last April test.These problems are though and some of them seem like you can run out of time just developing only a few.
I think six minute solutions give you a good practice of what is to come. In my opinion, you should solve six minute solutions before taking the test. In retrospect, I can say that I found some problems in the actual exam to be of same level as that of problems in six minute solutions. Having said that, a majority of problems, however, were in the same difficulty level as that of NCEES study material. Remember that any additional practice won't hurt.

I think six minute solutions give you a good practice of what is to come. In my opinion, you should solve six minute solutions before taking the test. In retrospect, I can say that I found some problems in the actual exam to be of same level as that of problems in six minute solutions. Having said that, a majority of problems, however, were in the same difficulty level as that of NCEES study material. Remember that any additional practice won't hurt.
Thanks layad, I will used that advice in my "hard keep going studing mode". So far, I have problems with shallow foundations, I'm trying to make congruency between the CERM formulas and the Six-min problems but they don't match, and if you try to use Das book formulas it is a third result close to the other ones but still different. That's what is frustrating to me trying to resolve a foundation problem but just guessing what formula to used (specially for shape factors).

I have the new book from Ruwan Rajapakse and it seem very easy to understand but still with another not matching result.

If a Geotechnical Engineer or somebody from this Board can help me to undestand the conflict with this issue, I will really appreciate!

e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks, and good luck.

Thanks layad, I will used that advice in my "hard keep going studing mode". So far, I have problems with shallow foundations, I'm trying to make congruency between the CERM formulas and the Six-min problems but they don't match, and if you try to use Das book formulas it is a third result close to the other ones but still different. That's what is frustrating to me trying to resolve a foundation problem but just guessing what formula to used (specially for shape factors).
I have the new book from Ruwan Rajapakse and it seem very easy to understand but still with another not matching result.

If a Geotechnical Engineer or somebody from this Board can help me to undestand the conflict with this issue, I will really appreciate!

e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks, and good luck.
chess5329,

I'll be more than happy to help you. I would advise you to follow CERM for PE exam and in case of confusions, you can visit http://peexamprep.blogspot.com. I just started this blog to help anyone who is preparing for the PE exam (geotechnical). You can post your questions there and I'll try to answer them. And yes, its free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the six-minute solutions were a good guide for the type of problems that I saw on the exam. You're correct, some of the 6-minute solutions take longer than 6 minutes to solve, but it's the concepts that you need to understand. I am not a Geotech by trade, and I have to say I was surprised at the level of difficulty of the PM section during the exam, (compared to the other times I took the exam, this exam was much more difficult). If you're a practicing Geotech, I'm sure you would have felt differently...that was just my experience. Best of luck to you...it is worth all the time and struggle when you get the PASS letter!! :)

I thought the six-minute solutions were a good guide for the type of problems that I saw on the exam. You're correct, some of the 6-minute solutions take longer than 6 minutes to solve, but it's the concepts that you need to understand. I am not a Geotech by trade, and I have to say I was surprised at the level of difficulty of the PM section during the exam, (compared to the other times I took the exam, this exam was much more difficult). If you're a practicing Geotech, I'm sure you would have felt differently...that was just my experience. Best of luck to you...it is worth all the time and struggle when you get the PASS letter!! :)
Thanks Daisy, I appreciate your comment. But you didn't mention did you get the pass letter last April? please send me some tips regarding this exam..this is my e-mail

[email protected]

Thanks again!

Back