anyone buy a new clothes dryer recently?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
Our trusty 20+ y.o. Maytag failed last night so I need to replace it this weekend. We use gas. Anyone have any recommendations on a good heavy-duty machine?

any help is appreciated

Samsung makes gas dryers that are supposed to be the cat's ass. Comes with a steam cycle as well. Be prepared to fork over at least $1200 for one though.

We recently got new washer and dryer. If possible, I think it would be wise to replace the pair if they are 20 years old. We got LG large-capacity front-load washer and matching dryer. The washer spins enough water out of the laundry that the dryer only takes about 60% of the time our old one did. Wash cycle is a little longer, but uses a very small amount of water.

Do NOT get one made by Electrolux (they also manufacture some Kenmore, and all Frigidaire models) with an "X" pattern stamped in the rear sheet metal cover.

But you didn't hear that from me... :ph34r:

We recently got new washer and dryer. If possible, I think it would be wise to replace the pair if they are 20 years old. We got LG large-capacity front-load washer and matching dryer. The washer spins enough water out of the laundry that the dryer only takes about 60% of the time our old one did. Wash cycle is a little longer, but uses a very small amount of water.
I agree. Our washer is only about 10 and seems to working fine. I've repaired this dryer for the last time. Actually, the problem is pretty minor (the felt "gasket" between the stationary part of the dryer and the rotating drum let go) but I'm just going to spend any more time/money keeping it alive.

Do NOT get one made by Electrolux (they also manufacture some Kenmore, and all Frigidaire models) with an "X" pattern stamped in the rear sheet metal cover.
But you didn't hear that from me... :ph34r:
yeah, why is that?

I've got a Maytag thats 17 years old, when it goes I will certainly buy another one.(maytag that is)

I've got a Maytag thats 17 years old, when it goes I will certainly buy another one.(maytag that is)
I hear you. Like I said the current Maytag is at least 20 years old. I replaced a couple of plastic baskets and the lint filter. I must be about 5 years now since I replaced the drive belt, the gas solenoid, and the igniter. Right after I replaced those the thing wouldn't fire. I noticed a sensor that detects the glow of the igniter before tripping the solenoid to the gas line. I figured it had to be the only other thing that could be wrong. I went to the parts store and asked the guy if it was worth it to replace it or if I should just get a new machine. He confirmed that I replaced everything else so why not. Put a new sensor in and got another 5 years out of it. The frugal engineer in me says - just get the gasket and get it running again. The lazy bastard in me says just get a new machine and be done screwing with this one.

Lazy wins.

Mrs. Chucktown keeps hoping that our washer and dryer will break to the point that I can't fix them. Unfortunately for her, and fortunately for my bank balance, I have gotten really good at repairing them. Our dryer is electric but I've replaced everything but the drive belt on it. I have bypassed most of the circuitry in the washer such that it really only runs on one cycle any more, but it still works, so no complaints there. I think our's are Kenmore, but I probably will replace them with front loaders in the next year. We have an employee purchase program through GE and I can get about 30% off of any appliance.

Our GE "KING SIZE" capacity front load is about two years old now and I still love it, our's is HE so you have to buy the special laundry detergent, but luckily our favorite comes in HE so we are good there.

Apparently somehow there are like 26 cycles on the thing but among the 9 cycles that I actually use....there is a "speed wash" setting on ours which is a 38 min cycle that I use for the lightly soiled and non-delicate fabrics. It also has the basket clean setting, pre-wash, spin only, delay start etc etc... I can honestly say that so far there are ONLY two things I think that could be improved on

-the pedestal drawer is too small to fit a Sam's Club/Costco size bottle of detergent

-the door seal tends to collect dog hair and water so I have to clean that out about once every few months and if you don't leave the door open for a bit after you've finished the laundry it can kinda get to funking... (I usually leave it open until the dryer finishes and it's fine)

That and the builder put our washer hook up on the right and dryer on the left and I can't change the doors on the washer/dryer to open differently.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProdu...Sku=WCVH6800JBB

We also have the coordinating dryer, they were presents from the hubby when we moved here because I fixed our old washer/dryer combo with a car belt while he was deployed and it squeeked like heck.

I got the front load washer & dryer from Best Buy last year. It is the Frigidare one, not the most expensive. Haven't had any problems. Before buying it I did some result and was told that front end tend to condensate and cause mold and what not. As I have been using it more now, it does create moisture in areas that I cannot reach. Just be sure to open the washer and let the air dry it every now and then.

My wife and I both really like the Bosch washer/dryer that we purchased. The controls are simple and intuitive and cleaning does a great job - picked it up at Lowe's about 4-5 yrs ago and has been running great!

Thanks for all the replies. We impulse purchased another Maytag. Centennial 500 large capacity at Sears. I believe the only fancy feature it has is a moisture sensor that shuts the machine down when the clothes are dry. Mid-level price-wise. I hoping it's as dependable as the 20+ year old Maytag it replaces. Looking online, there are a couple of complaints that it's noisy. Ours is in the basement on a slab on grade so I thinking that this should not be an issue.

Back