Another Reason to Protect the "Engineer" Title

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discipline seems to have a lot to do with how this is viewed. It seems to me (and I'm no expert) that the civil and structural folks are the ones that have the biggest issues with the "you're not an engineer unless you're a PE" stuff. I would bet that mostly has to do with that in those fields, there are not a lot of career options that don't involve design for the public. Other disciplines (electrical, mech, welding, etc) are a lot more comfortable with stuff like industrial exemption because we realize that a large percentage of our colleagues work in industries that don't require licensure, and I know I for one don't believe that makes them any less of an engineer.

There is a reason when you sit for the PE that the vast majority of the folks in the room are civil. For a lot of the rest of the disciplines, the PE doesn't buy a whole lot unless you're in certain fields, such as building design. For you civil folks, there doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunities for advancement without the PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think as long as those that disagree on this understand that it's required for those involved in public service, then we're ok. We all have performed engineering, even in our own heads without anyone knowing, but that doesn't make us an engineer by title.

If you believe Decartes' philosophy of "I think <engineering>, therefore I am <engineering>", then go ahead and believe it. No one's stopping you.

I don't mean to sound arrogant here. I think a congratulations is in order for those that are PEs, and those that don't have to go through the difficulty may never know the reward. There is a reward with the responsibility... and it's not just money.

I'm sorry but is some kind of inside joke or something :dunno: ?
No joke... It's just that you're not a Real™ Engineer if you're not licensed. You might have an engineering degree. You might be an Engineer Intern if you've passed the FE. But you're not a Real™ Engineer.

No different than with Real™ Doctors. Just because you've taken some first aid courses (maybe even gone to medical school), you're not a Doctor until you're licensed to practice medicine. Now, there are those that will call themselves a Doctor because they hold a doctorate degree... but if they do it in any sort of clinical setting, they're in trouble!

Same with attorneys, nurses, and all sorts of other professionals.

Ok was curious was all, thought i was missing out on the chuckle. your use of the term "Real" (esp w/ TM symbol) was/is confusing.

My state's occupational code act is (thankfully) vacant of any 'trademarked definitions' or the term "Real" as a prefix anyways.

Ok was curious was all, thought i was missing out on the chuckle. your use of the term "Real" (esp w/ TM symbol) was/is confusing.
Yeah... not sure why that sticks in my mind - it doesn't make much sense, but I like it. Not to be confused with Fake™ Engineers. Maybe I should trademark "Real Engineers"...

Heh, all i can picture is the red & white "Real" tm that is synonamous with dairy or whatever

Back