Am I Wrong For Doing This?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Uncanny Pompadour
Reaction score
Political Poll Phone Calls:

So I got my second one. The first one, I simply declined, because I was a little pissed that they somehow got my cell-phone number, and I don't like to be disturbed when I'm sitting in traffic focusing on my own misery, so I declined their offer to express my VERY-IMPORTANT(their description) opinion..  But the second call, I was ready.  Here is a (rough) transcript.

AP: Hello, can I speak to a registered voter in the house?

W: Yes! I am a registered voter!

AP: This is the AP Wire Service conducting a telephone poll regarding political candidates.  Your responses are very important to us.  This call may be recorded.

W: Thanks, I appreciate you making me feel so important.

AP: Can I ask you a few questions about your political preferences?

W: Yes! I would be glad to answer your questions.  But for every one question you ask me, I will also ask one question from you.

AP: I'm sorry sir, what? This is the AP calling and your opinions are very important to us.

W: I know, thanks for that.  I appreciate it.  So for every question you ask me, I will ask one question from you.  I promise to answer all your questions as truthfully and honestly as possible, and I'll ask you to do the same.

AP: <pause>... Um...

W: Here, I'll go first: How did you get this number?

AP: Um...  It was generated by a computer.  It was auto-dialed by a computer.

W: Ok, thanks, for that.  Ok, now it's your turn.  Go ahead.

AP: Um, ... Ok, sir, what is your zip code?

W: My ZIP code is (#####)

AP: Ok sir, what is your...

W: Oh, no no, sorry. It's my turn.  How old are you?

AP: Um...    .....    Sir, we can't answer questions.

W: Sure you can.  It's my TURN.

AP:  Um....Sorry sir. Thank you for your time.  <Click>

Am I a bad person?

I think my next goal will be to see how long I can keep them on the line.  Maybe start out a little slower, win some confidence, and then go for her bank account number or something.

:appl:

high-six.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, I thought I was mean to unsolicited phone calls. Bravo!  :appl:

there was a comedian a while back that used to do something similar and record them (want to say his name was Tom something) 

his were equally hilarious one time a carpet cleaner called him and he acted all nervous " can you come right now!  How long does it take to get  a lot of blood out of the carpet?"  What About gun shot residue?

I outearn my husband and make all the important decisions for the household, but when a telemarketer calls looking for a responsible adult, I simply cannot do anything without my husband around. 

I worked as a telecounselor in college, both cold and warm calling potential students. I feel for people who have it as a job, but cripes it's annoying. 

I had an actual candidate knock at my door last weekend, well at least a candidate for the AK legislature.  I kind of felt bad for him when I lied and said I'd love to talk to him, but I was talking to my parents on FaceTime. 

That's great W.

When the car warranty people used to call, I'd tell them, "Why yes, I do need an extended warranty."

Them: "What's your made and model?"

"I have a 1977 Ford Pinto" ......click

This is awesome! Something my spouse would do. Actually, my spouse is the ultimate troll.

Good times! Keep it up, @Wolverine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back