Alabama Tornadoes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
If you haven't seen the news last night or this morning, there were several tornadoes in Alabama, Georgia and Florida yesterday.  The worst one in eastern Alabama caused extensive damage and killed at least 23 people.

I don't know if @engineergurl will be on here today, but we know she is ok.  Best I can tell from the damage reports is the big tornado passed less than a mile from her house.

Hoping @ktulu will check in.  It sounds like the worst was in Beauregard, which isn't too far from Auburn.  I know he lives in/near Auburn, but I'm not sure exactly where.

A smaller tornado passed within a few miles of the house my wife used to own in Georgia.  That one destroyed the fire station and airport in Eufaula, AL.

I'm sure they could all use our thoughts and prayers.

Yeah we are good here. The tornado that hit Beauregard was about 15 miles to the Southeast from my house. Initial reports say it was an EF4 tornado, but that it was only about 0.25 miles wide, so it was very compact. The area it hit has multiple mobile home communities, that's why the death toll is as high as it is now, and will likely increase throughout the day. We weren't home when it hit - we were driving back from the Mobile, AL area. It's likely the same tornado that hit Beauregard is the one that went passed @engineergurl's house. 

We had minor storm damage, but it was too dark this morning when I left the house to assess anything really.  There was a tree up against the power lines in the easement so I imagine we'll loose power sometime today.  Beauregard is about 20 miles due east of our house, and I believe that Ktulu is probably correct that it was the same one, it hit about a half a mile north of us.  I headed south to drive into work and avoided the area.  We've been lucky because the last two have all been just a bit away...  Lee Co is reporting that there are now 23 reported deaths and the images of the destruction are overwhelming, but the community is pulling together.  Hotels have opened their doors for free, churches have already started clothing drives, that part is amazing to see.

so glad everyone here is ok.  Was this a fluke or are tornadoes always a threat in that area?  We're headed to AL on Wednesday for my son's graduation from OTS at Maxwell.  We're flying into Atlanta and driving to Montgomery.  Will the tornado damage cause any issues with the drive from GA to AL?

Last edited by a moderator:
so glad everyone here is ok.  Was this a fluke or are tornadoes always a threat in that area?  We're headed to AL on Wednesday for my son's graduation from OTS at Maxwell.  We're flying into Atlanta and driving to Montgomery.  Will the tornado damage cause any issues with the drive from GA to AL?
Tornadoes are fairly common throughout Alabama. The Interstate is clear - the storm damage is south of the interstate. 

@Road Guy I saw her brother last weekend and we were heading home from a quick hike in Kiesel Park, right by their house. 

Latest posts

Back