Expect the Unexpected on test day.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone read the exam day check list in the SERM or what ever your disicpline's ERM? It's pretty funny. I'm wondering why I need a piece of rope...I'm thinking that could be dangerous. I might use it to hang myself when I'm done.

does it really say a rope? What, in case you need to lash together a chair out of driftwood.
Yes...I don't have it with me right now, but it is crazy...snow chains, an extra set of keys tied around you neck, some pretty stupid things. Most of the strange items have some sort of explanation...like a trash bag as a "rain coat" for your books...but the piece of rope. Not so sure what that's for.

Yes...I don't have it with me right now, but it is crazy...snow chains, an extra set of keys tied around you neck, some pretty stupid things. Most of the strange items have some sort of explanation...like a trash bag as a "rain coat" for your books...but the piece of rope. Not so sure what that's for.

http://ppi2pass.com/"the other board"/PPIInfo_fl_bookInf...M-STRMintro.pdf

under the section "Prepare your exam kits"...it's in your secondary kit to keep in you car.

Not to mention the wire hanger to hang up your coat and break into your car...in case you didn't have the keys around your neck...

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to use your own pencil.

I took earplugs but the sound of my own breathing was more annoying than papers flipping so they lasted about 5 minutes. It was FREEZING in our room- I planned according bc I'm always cold but lots of guys in there did not.

Bring lunch- I didn't and it wasn't a huge deal but it would have been better to bring it.

I liked having my books stacked in milk crates like a book case. I had the ones I was using on the desk and the rest to each side in the crate. Made getting in and out a breeze.

has anyone read the exam day check list in the SERM or what ever your disicpline's ERM? It's pretty funny. I'm wondering why I need a piece of rope...I'm thinking that could be dangerous. I might use it to hang myself when I'm done.
Yeah, looking in the MERM, I don't see a piece of rope , but there are some equally odd items, including some things that are expressly prohibited for the exam: scissors, stapler, erasers, magnifying glass, wristwatch with alarm, wire coat hanger (to get back into your car in an emergency). Pretty funny, this list was surely made by a major-league worrier. I'm surprised it doesn't have candles, weather radio, fire-starter kit, flare gun, and swiss army knife.

Yeah, looking in the MERM, I don't see a piece of rope , but there are some equally odd items, including some things that are expressly prohibited for the exam: scissors, stapler, erasers, magnifying glass, wristwatch with alarm, wire coat hanger (to get back into your car in an emergency). Pretty funny, this list was surely made by a major-league worrier. I'm surprised it doesn't have candles, weather radio, fire-starter kit, flare gun, and swiss army knife.
I just assumed they'd be the same.

I thought the $3 in misc change was funny...why $3? Why not $5 or $2? My other favorite was the snow chains. I live in Texas...pretty sure I can leave that one off the list!

Last edited by a moderator:
The list in the FERM was pretty funny. I'm taking the exam in the middle of downtown Hartford - not exactly in the middle of the wilderness!

Re: perfume, I hadn't thought about those with allergies to scents - now I get it! I don't usually wear perfume but would have thought nothing of using a scented body wash or shampoo.

One of the things that threw several people off at arrival was that they charged for parking. The exam was being held at a smaller convention center that just happend to have a yard and patio show running through the weekend of the exam. There was actually a special parking lot reserved for the test takers, but they still charged EVERYONE for parking, and they didn't care if you showed them your admittance letter for the exam. I had driven to the site the day before and was lucky enough to be able to talk with one of the parking attendant managers who told me of a coupon deal with one of the local stores for free parking on another lot.

I brought a couple of Clif Bars with me (needed an energy boost at the 2.5 hour mark), two Nalgene bottles (water and juice), and a small pack of tissues (gotta love alergies). I brought my own lunch (the grocery story deli's have alot of good, cheap salads and sandwiches prepackaged), made sure I had a good breakfast, and tried to avoid coffee (I normally don't drink much anyways).

I was seated downwind one of the HVAC system fans for the duration of the exam. The cross breeze was strong enough to flip the pages of the book for you so I had to strategically place my calculator, book, and exam so that the upstream side wouldn't be "flipped" by the cross breeze (my straight edge and calculator were very helpful for that). The other down side was that we had the unofficial AARP as exam proctors and they couldn't decide on a temperature. The heater would run for about 30 minutes, then the AC would kick in, then the heater back on, etc. Because of this, they allowed people to wear whatever long sleeved shirt/jacket they had with them that was easily (and quietly) put on or taken off. I was allowed to wear a hoodie with the restriction that the hood had to be folded down.

For the books, I just used a liquor box that was just the right size to allow the spines of all of my books to show if strategically placed (I got some funny looks from some for using a Captain Morgan box).

There was a girl seated closer to the HVAC vent that had used some kind of pheromone inducing scented shampoo. Let's just say a whiff from time to time was pleasantly distracting...

Last edited:
Back