A future of thirst: Water crisis lies on the horizon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ just as long as I can keep watering my grass, I'll be happy.

When do we all start panicking and drinking our own urine?

There is a reason why T. Boone Pickens (the oil magnate) is acquiring water rights...

We are on one day a week.

This is the lake near us...

LakeTRavis2_zpsaa592d96.jpg

Georgia (lakes) looked like that for years, then they had a 150 year storm and it was all changed.. Some counties took progressive action and built there own reservoirs for the future and when the drought comes again those will be okay while others that wait around on the federal / state government handouts will be SOL......

note during the 3-4 year drought in Georgia where it was illegal to water for the most part we never watered, even though we had an irrigation system and our grass(bermuda) survived.. I saw lots of dumb people setting their irrigation to run at 2 AM cause they figured no one was watching.. selfish people everywhere...

I figure the planet has been around a long time and the good lord will provide what is needed...

Sorry. the planet is 2/3 covered by water, albeit salt water, but that's what desalinization is for. We ain't running out anytime soon

I doubt anybody watched it, but I posted a YouTube video about the liquid fluoride thorium reactor (nuclear power). Since it doesn't use steam turbines (they are more efficient with gas turbines), the cooling water can be at normal atmospheric pressure, and the waste heat can be used to desalinate water.

As a side note, that reactor can also produce large quantities of hydrogen as a waste product. Hydrogen can then be used to make "green" fuel cells (i.e., since the hydrogen is just a waste product from the production of electricity, you aren't wasting energy to produce the hydrogen).

^^^ that would be a lot funnier if you swapped "Unicorns" for "Liquid Fluoride Thorium" and "Rainbows" for "Hydrogen".

Seriously Will, where do you come up with this nonsense about nuclear technology being able to solve multiple problems with efficiency? Everyone knows that our myriad of crises will continue to get worse until the goverment steps in and fixes everything with Green Power. Sweet, magical, beautiful Green Power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michigan hit rock bottom a few years ago.

But sitting on about 5000 cubic miles of freshwater is encouraging for the future.

Back