9 Iconic Brands That Could Soon Be Dead

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought Leno was out a couple of years ago? Shows you how in tune i am with late night TV.
He was. They fired (retired) him and replaced him with O'Brien on the Tonight Show...then they gave him his own show, which bumped O'Brien's time slot, so O'Brien so quit. At least that's what I think I remember...

I don't actually watch any late night TV, other than SNL, occasionally.

Apparently, it has it's own wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Tonight_Show_conflict

i thought Leno was out a couple of years ago? Shows you how in tune i am with late night TV.
He was. They fired (retired) him and replaced him with O'Brien on the Tonight Show...then they gave him his own show, which bumped O'Brien's time slot, so O'Brien so quit. At least that's what I think I remember...

I don't think he quit, but there was so much falderal over it, it is hard to tell who is savig face and who is telling the unvarnished truth.

Local news affiliates were complaining like crazy because their ratings went in the toilet when Conan took over. Apparently a lot of folks who used to watch the Tonight show just turned off the TV and went to bed after Leno was sacked.

I've always suspected that the affiliates complaining and the low ratings persuaded NBC to fire Conan.

Did someone say, "Soul Patrol"?

hicks2.png

I have a feeling Jimmy Fallon won't win over the Tonight Show demographic after Leno is given the boot.

People said that about Jay Leno, too.

I don't recall that. I thought that was a really orderly transition (despite Letterman going ballistic, but he didn't really appeal to that demographic either--look at his current ratings), fully endorsed by Carson, and they attempted to appeal to the same demographic.

NBC is trying to lure younger viewers. Tonight show has traditionally been an older crowd, and the current demographics reflect that.

I like Fallon a lot, but I don't think he's going to play to the current demo, or attract a younger demo to that slot.
I stayed up last night to watch the final show. Pretty heart-felt send-off for Jay. Was neat to see everyone who showed up to send him off.

^ same here but I was willing to make an exception. Just more green tea this morning. ;)

Back