9 Iconic Brands That Could Soon Be Dead

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Quizno's was always too expensive. Also, the one we went to had a jerk at the counter. JCPenny's feels like a Filene's Basement (RIP), but without the deals.

Oh, and I'm sure all of you have a subscription to Martha Stewart Living over Playboy.

Quizno's was always too expensive.

You're right. It was good, but not that good.

I felt bad when the local one closed, because the owner was a really nice guy and worked hard, but I could literally get twice as much (and more) for my money down the road at Subway.

I cant' say that I'll miss any of those. "iconic" might be a bit of stretch for some of these.

Blackberry was huge but lost to the iphone,

I thought Volvo had a niche market but as the article says there are just way too many alternatives....something has to go...(like Oldsmobile and Pontiac unfortunately).

Red Lobster, like so many other staple restaurants, has fallen into the "old hat" category and jumped the shark.

Quizno's was always too expensive.

You're right. It was good, but not that good.

I felt bad when the local one closed, because the owner was a really nice guy and worked hard, but I could literally get twice as much (and more) for my money down the road at Subway.
I never went to a Quizzno's, but I'm quite sick of Subway and avoid it if possible.

i've eaten quiznos once...it was greasier than anything I'd ever seen before for a sandwich...never been back. good riddens

red lobster overpriced crap in regards to seafood quality. probably been there a half dozen or so times in my life. good riddens

jcpenny's has become a junk shop. They were nice stores then in the last several years they started putting merchandise on wire racks...really in a department store....they used to be classier than that. good riddens

I like the Black Angus at Quiznos. Beyond that, there isn't a thing on that list I could give two shits about. I take that back, I'd LOVE to see Abercrombie die, so I can walk through a mall without needing an inhaler to get past the smell.

don't think the article is exactly right about A&F, either...you can buy the exact same styles and quality at American Eagle for about a quarter of the price, even less at Old Navy (but not exactly the same quality).

don't think the article is exactly right about A&F, either...you can buy the exact same styles and quality at American Eagle for about a quarter of the price, even less at Old Navy (but not exactly the same quality).

What exactly is quality about pre-faded and pre-ripped t-shirts and jeans? It's all crap.

I didn't say it was quality, necessarily just on even par with A&F...

The ripped look in jeans is out, BTW. Ask any teenager.

I liked Quizno's but I never went there. So I guess I contributed to their demise. Their store here disappeared a while ago.

I also like Red Lobster--I think it's a helluva lot better than Chili's, which they say is doing better.

And JCPenney, meh. They can't compete with Kohl's. But they say Macy's is doing a better job and I've never even been in a Macy's as the closest one is 40 miles away.

I very much do not care about the demise of any of those brands...which is probably part of their downfall. Not necessarily just me not caring about them, but lots of people not caring about them. Many of them have alienated their core demographic for a quick score (A&F being the most egregious). If they had stuck to what they knew best, they never would have gotten as big as they are now (maybe they wouldn't even be considered "iconic"), but at least they wouldn't be in as big of danger of going under.

I have a feeling Jimmy Fallon won't win over the Tonight Show demographic after Leno is given the boot.

I liked Quizno's but I never went there. So I guess I contributed to their demise. Their store here disappeared a while ago.

I also like Red Lobster--I think it's a helluva lot better than Chili's, which they say is doing better.

And JCPenney, meh. They can't compete with Kohl's. But they say Macy's is doing a better job and I've never even been in a Macy's as the closest one is 40 miles away.

Quizno's never was a favorite for me. Am scared of Red Lobster.Two people I know suffered food poisoning. that resulted in partial paralysis after going to different Red Lobster facilities.

Not a fan of JC Penney. Granted a credit card to my wife and that little piece of plastic was a thorn in my side for a long time.

Back