48% pass rate for SE1... Did you get what you expected as pass rate in your field?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmehta

Reaction score
I want to know if 48% pass rate for SE1 is something you expected or you expected something different..... I thought it would be higher than 50%......

Atleast the passing rate went up after some time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know if 48% pass rate for SE1 is something you expected or you expected something different..... I thought it would be higher than 50%......
Thought It would be right around there or lower. Since it is higher than it has been in the past, it gives me hope that they lowered the cut score.

Can anyone tell me why would you take the harder Stuct 1 test in a state that doe not recognize you as a SE? Seems dumb to me. I could stamp any structural drawing in Tenn. with a civil PE or even licensed architect for that matter. Especially now that NCEES is changing the rules.

Can anyone tell me why would you take the harder Stuct 1 test in a state that doe not recognize you as a SE? Seems dumb to me. I could stamp any structural drawing in Tenn. with a civil PE or even licensed architect for that matter. Especially now that NCEES is changing the rules.
basically if you're degree curriculum and work experience is structural then it makes sense to take a structural exam. It also demonstrates a level of competence in the structural field. In MA if your stamp says "structural" and you stamp civil draawings then you potentially have some 'splaining to do and vice versa.

Again---why would you take the harder exam in a state that does not recognize the SE stamp------Answer----You would not!

hp has a point. the whole "structural as a seperate discipline" sounds good on paper - but the bottom line is so much of civil engineering *is* structural engineering, the whole thing is rather pointless.

Also, given that some state requirements of "S.E." are so ridiculously extreme and enforcement is nil - why bother? salaries and jobs for general civil engineers who have a "structural background" are generally more plentiful and lucrative than the tiny minority that look to sign and seal structural drawings for high rises. plus, you add in the liability, and even bothering taking the added exams begins to look like a fools errand.

You take it so you can prove that you are awesome, duh. The pass rate was actually higher with 48% than earlier years. I mean, it's only that people tend to die when you mess up designing a building/bridge so of course the test should be hard.

Back