2015 Mustang

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
http://business.time.com/2013/12/04/this-is-what-fords-all-new-2015-mustang-really-looks-like/

2015-mustang-03.jpg

2015-mustang-02.jpg

2015-mustang-01.jpg

My first car was a 1966 Wimbledon White C-code 289 V-8 coupe.

SO to me, real mustangs have always looked like this:

File:1966_Ford_Mustang_T-5_car.JPG

I like the turbo-4 option and the new, lower weight. Why can't these "performance cars" have rear tire widths worth a damn?

I like the turbo-4 option and the new, lower weight. Why can't these "performance cars" have rear tire widths worth a damn?

Mileage.

I don't necessarily buy that. The rolling resistance difference between a 235 and 255 tire are minimal. Weight? Pffft. And the fact that the option of REPLACING the factory rubber with wider treads is difficult given the tight clearance to the body / frame on the inner side of the wheel well.

My Impala came with 255's from the factory, but tires as wide as 315 can be installed with no modifications. The similar Marauder came with 235's, but cannot be fit with even 255's without major modifications. I can't provide specific examples for the Mustang, Camaro, Charger, etc... but they've got to be in the same boat with inner well clearances.

If the car is labeled "performance", even if it isn't equipped from the factory with wide tires, at least give the consumer the OPTION to install performance tires without worry. Sheesh!

Mileage.

I don't necessarily buy that. The rolling resistance difference between a 235 and 255 tire are minimal. Weight? Pffft. And the fact that the option of REPLACING the factory rubber with wider treads is difficult given the tight clearance to the body / frame on the inner side of the wheel well.

My Impala came with 255's from the factory, but tires as wide as 315 can be installed with no modifications. The similar Marauder came with 235's, but cannot be fit with even 255's without major modifications. I can't provide specific examples for the Mustang, Camaro, Charger, etc... but they've got to be in the same boat with inner well clearances.

If the car is labeled "performance", even if it isn't equipped from the factory with wide tires, at least give the consumer the OPTION to install performance tires without worry. Sheesh!

Not just rolling resistence, but there is an aero factor between 235 and 255...

All kinds of issues beside mileage.

Price

Weight

Packaging

Inventory

etc

235mm is close to 10" of rubber on the road. That is quite a lot. I ran 225s on the front of my 69 Charger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but being able to slip 10.5-inch wide slicks on the car for the track is better than 9-inch slicks.
burnout.gif

Yes, but being able to slip 10.5-inch wide slicks on the car for the track is better than 9-inch slicks.
burnout.gif

Plenty of aftermarket stuff for that.

Ya know, muscle cars came with steelies and dog dishes for a reason....

99.9% of the folks that buy these thinks won't track them. Those that do are getting better tire/wheel combos anyway.

I'd have to see it in person, but from that third picture, it looks more Japanese import than American muscle.

I also don't like the looks of the forward sloped hood trend in new cars. There has to be a better way to protect pedestrians.

What happened to the "oh, it's time to move on from the vintage Mustang look and give the name a facelift" that was being touted for the past year? Looks like the previous generation Mustang + photoshop smudge tool.

What happened to the "oh, it's time to move on from the vintage Mustang look and give the name a facelift" that was being touted for the past year? Looks like the previous generation Mustang + photoshop smudge tool.

?????

It looks like the Evos concept more than anything....I can agree with you on the dash, but not a lot else.

1386182034012-15FordMustang-13-HR.jpg

ford-EVOS-concept-side-in-motion.jpg

That top picture screams 2013 Mustang a hell of a lot more than it does concept.

burnout.gif

99.9% of the folks that buy these thinks won't track them. Those that do are getting better tire/wheel combos anyway.

My Boss came with the dog dishes that we still have with the car...I've always wondered what the "real" wheels looked like in 1970. Thinking Minilites a la Parnelli Jones would be good for now.

burnout.gif

My Boss came with the dog dishes that we still have with the car...I've always wondered what the "real" wheels looked like in 1970. Thinking Minilites a la Parnelli Jones would be good for now.

I'm partial to American Racing 200S Daisy mags on the Mustangs. Everyone does Torque Thrusts.

Minilites never looked quite right to me, even back in the day, but they would look period correct.

Hard to put anything other than "period correct" on the Boss.

The Daisies are cool...look a lot like the Torq Thrusts. Mr. Tex wants the Torq Thrusts for the other fastback.

Back