2 must books-1 obvious one

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eng.dork

Reaction score
I took and past the PE this past Oct. That was my second time taking it. To give further reference I took the FE five times. Everything I am about to say has been said a hundred times on this site, however it needs to be repeated because it is very important and helped me tons when it came to studying.

1. 2 must have books:

Power System Analysis-Grainger/Stevenson--I read this book from cover to cover. It help me understand some questions that you will see on the afternoon power portion of the exam. This was a great book and easy to understand. I have a EE degree from a major university and was not taught some of the things that were in this book. Worth every penny in my estimation.

Schaum's outlines-Electric Power Systems--Problems that will back up your reading in the pervious "must have book". These books go hand-in-hand in my opinion. Doing these problems helped so much on the exam.

2. 1 obvious book:

The NCEES example test. This is huge! This is great to get to know the format of the test. This is very important. There are only a certain amount of test questions that they can ask (database); get to know that types of questions that they are asking. I can't stress this enough!

I noticed on other sections of this site that there is a discussion about how many study hours to put in during the test. I can only tell you I did. About 40 days till the exam I put in 4 hours a day and took Sundays off. I think it is important to take at least one day off a week during this time, just to be with family and friends and get away from studying. The last week I did put too much time into it. I took sometime and focused on things that I wasn't sure about. Remember it is different for everyone and there is no formula to pass the exam. However, the more you study the better you will do.

I encourage everyone who is studying for this exam to go back to old posts and read them. Great insight from people that have been around the block so to speak. There are some incredibly intelligent people on this forum...utilize them!

I wish everyone the best of luck...and remember your study time is tempory...it will end...stick with it!!!!!!!

Back