$2 / Gal Gasoline as OPEC tries to kill US Fracking.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas at Sam's last week was $1.64. Five islands and cars backed up about 8 deep. I don't even have a Sam's card, but still, no thanks.

whats nice is that the IRS mileage rate is still .52/mile or something like that...

So we figured out a way to get gas for just under a dollar about every time we fill up..

If you have a Kroger/King Sooper/City market/etc near you. Kroger gives you double the fuel points when you buy gift cards in their stores. So what we have started doing is buying gift cards for things we buy anyways. Say were going to movie (family of 5 that’s $70 bucks for us) so before we go we stop by Kroger and buy the AMC movie gift card and use. We don’t eat out much but if we do we have started doing the same thing. There are endless possibilities for gift cards these days

It takes some planning and is a hassle some times but holy smokes my fuel costs are back to 1989 rates…

We learned this when we bought a bunch of gift cards for family at Christmas and then realized we were getting 1 off gas…

So we figured out a way to get gas for just under a dollar about every time we fill up..

If you have a Kroger/King Sooper/City market/etc near you. Kroger gives you double the fuel points when you buy gift cards in their stores. So what we have started doing is buying gift cards for things we buy anyways. Say were going to movie (family of 5 that’s $70 bucks for us) so before we go we stop by Kroger and buy the AMC movie gift card and use. We don’t eat out much but if we do we have started doing the same thing. There are endless possibilities for gift cards these days

It takes some planning and is a hassle some times but holy smokes my fuel costs are back to 1989 rates…

We learned this when we bought a bunch of gift cards for family at Christmas and then realized we were getting 1 off gas…

Kroger sells kroger gift cards... can you just go buy a kroger gift card to use to get your groceries and gas? (or King Sooper, which I'm still ticked that I didn't use my gas discount at when we were in Co)

I always forget I can get gas at Kroger and use my points because I typically do my grocery shopping at a different store.

yes we also use a Kroger gift card that is linked to our kids band account somehow - so we basically don't have to pay band dues since we get I think 1.5% credit for everything we buy. We have started using Kroger exclusively for groceries. They are even cheaper than walmart for most items (I did a nerdy spreadsheet based on the 3 grocery options we have (Kroger, Safeway, Wal Mart) Wal mart is good for cereal and a few items like milk, but I was shocked to learn that Kroger was cheaper & a much nicer experience than being around walmart folks all day!

I think you can even buy wal mart gift cards at Kroger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, but then you don't get to see the eye candy like this:

people_of_walmart_7398.jpg

I'm not sure how it is where you are, but every once in a while the Kroger's around here will do bonus points....4x points for (most) gift cards. Sometimes it's for a week or two, sometimes a weekend, sometimes it's just on a certain day. I filled up my full size, 26 gallon truck for less than $30 the other day.

Kroger sells kroger gift cards... can you just go buy a kroger gift card to use to get your groceries and gas? (or King Sooper, which I'm still ticked that I didn't use my gas discount at when we were in Co)

I always forget I can get gas at Kroger and use my points because I typically do my grocery shopping at a different store.
Apparently Kroger thought of that already. Doesn't work on Kroger cards or pre-paid credit cards. Can't really blame them. If you think about it, you could go in and buy a $100 Kroger gift card and then turn around and use that gift card to buy another $100 gift card. Do that a few times and you'd have $1 off gas for months and still have a $100 gift card to get groceries.

Our cubscout pack sells Kroger cards for a fundraiser. They get 5% of everything bought with it, and it's a re-fillable gift card. Alot of the moms bought one, then refill it each time they go shopping, every time giving the pack another 5% without costing any more.

yes your right you cant get double the credit for buying the gift card and when you spend it.

We love the script card for band, our scout troop does it also but we max out one kid activity since band is $$$$ and scouts is $ !!

This conversation reminds me of when the US mint started "selling" the state commemorative quarters. Apparently initially there were no additional charges (taxes, shipping, etc.) to buying the coins, so $10 worth of quarters cost you $10. Makes sense, but people were using this to rack up rewards on their credit cards. The idea being that you bought $500 worth of quarters then turned right around and deposited them back into your account so you essentially spent nothing but you "made" money by cashing out your credit card rewards. To me it seemed like a lot of work to make a few bucks and the effort of having to drag rolls and rolls of quarters to the bank all the time to make 1% on your credit card cash back program seemed a little absurd.

Yes I wouldn't drag quarters to the bank for that.

We do leverage big purchases on our regular cards to get the reward though...

I have several of my bills automatically paid on a credit card, then I pay the credit card off. Automatic 5% discount on my regular bills.

Back