10 Tarnished Halo Cars

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^yep I remember those BOGO promotions too...not sure that worked to the dealers advantage, but since I wouldn't buy a kia it didn't matter

The PT Cruiser, in my book is a toilet paper car - something that I would use to wipe my caboose. My brothers and I rented one when we went to LA way back in the day of single-dom. We loaded our gear in the back, sat down in the car, and we all had the same thought - "this is a lesbian car".
Subaru doesn't make the PT cruiser.

I know I am dating myself, but I bought my bride a Buick Reatta when I came back from Desert Storm. It was a great car. But one side note, it was a two seater and we were childless at the time. 40 weeks later, my oldest child was born....

I worked with a guy who was a draftsman at Buick back in the late eighties/early nineties. he said several Reatta's were running around with the GNX mills in them and the Reatta was used extensively in developing the L67 Supercharged 3.8 V-6 (which was a heck of an engine).

Had a Kio Rio last week as a rental. All I can say is yuck. Not even in the same ballpark as the Ford Fiesta I had a few weeks back. That was a fun car to drive, even got my first ticket while driving it. My sister has a Kia Forte and likes it. I'm still not sold on them tho.

I had a Camry for my rental last weekend. Seemed underpowered, probably due to the "eco" feature. Jab the throttle and nothing happens for a couple seconds. Makes driving in traffic annoying. I've rented a couple Cruzes and same thing, only worse.

My favorite rentals lately have been Altimas (I like the torquey response of the CVT) and a Camaro.

No, that's a TP car.
what's a TP car?
Fudgey's ride?

I had a Camry for my rental last weekend. Seemed underpowered, probably due to the "eco" feature. Jab the throttle and nothing happens for a couple seconds. Makes driving in traffic annoying. I've rented a couple Cruzes and same thing, only worse.

My favorite rentals lately have been Altimas (I like the torquey response of the CVT) and a Camaro.
Rented a Pontiac G6 a while back that was a lot of fun to drive. I rented a Ford model not sold in the States when I went to Iceland which looked piddly, but handled the terrain there pretty nicely.

Then there was the Explorer I rented when I roadtripped through Canada a couple years back where I broke up a belching contest when I walked in to the rental counter. I made sure to treat the car real nice after a week of camping and two large water dogs in the car along the way.

One thing to keep in mind when driving those 4-door sedan rentals is that they are usually the (under powered) 4 cylinder version of the car. Back when my car was still under warranty (seems like eons ago now) and I'd take it back to the dealership for repairs they'd give you a loaner car. On occasion I'd get the same model car as my own, but it would invariably have the piddly little 4 cylinder engine (paired with an automatic transmission). It was like driving a totally different car! I try not to allow my rental experiences cloud my perception of a car unless there is some major flaw in the form or function of the design.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite rentals lately have been Altimas (I like the torquey response of the CVT).
I have a CVT Altima, and I like it too. I went from a V6 Mazda6 to a 4cyl Altima and noticed no appreciable difference in acceleration. I do notice a big difference in fuel economy, though.

These numbers are pretty impressive for a 4 cyl

http://wot.motortren...ima-209993.html

but my V6 mazda 6 is still faster. ;)
Mine's an '08. I loved my '04 Mazda6s...right up until that bitch pulled out in front of me. I'm glad they totaled it, though...I'm pretty sure it had frame damage and would never drive the same after being fixed.

My favorite part about the Altima is the fact that it's paid off. My second favorite thing is the keyless everything. I don't have to take my keys out of my pocket to open the doors or start the car.

Mine's an '08. I loved my '04 Mazda6s...right up until that bitch pulled out in front of me. I'm glad they totaled it, though...I'm pretty sure it had frame damage and would never drive the same after being fixed.
Mine's an '03 and I've been really happy with it. It's practical but still fun to drive (mine's a manual).

My favorite part about the Altima is the fact that it's paid off.
I think that's probably the best feature a car can have. :D

we have a, '11 mazda6... it's got that thing where you can drive it normal, or use the + and - to shift with out a clutch which is kinda cool... but kinda a waste.... I think it has a V6 in it, I'm pretty sure the hubby wouldn't let me have an engine bigger than what he has under the hood...

...it's got that thing where you can drive it normal, or use the + and - to shift with out a clutch which is kinda cool...
That style of transmission was the standard automatic transmission back when I bought mine. The drop in performance between the automatic and manual was pretty significant and the fuel economy was worse too so I opted for the manual. Manual cars are just more fun to drive anyway, even in Atlanta traffic. :D

I cannot stand the + / - slap shift autos and hate the paddle shifters even more. Even if you have it in that "yo dawg, this is some mad skillz performance shifting!" mode, the trans will still shift itself like it would if you had the skinny pedal mashed in normal "D".

I think it was a what he considered a comprimise... I got a phone call one day and was asked if I liked the color black or black cherry better... asked for what... he said it didn't matter... I came home to a black cherry car in the driveway pissed off that I didn't say black.

I cannot stand the + / - slap shift autos and hate the paddle shifters even more. Even if you have it in that "yo dawg, this is some mad skillz performance shifting!" mode, the trans will still shift itself like it would if you had the skinny pedal mashed in normal "D".
Mine will do that 1-2 (those are automatic at redline so you don't blow up the tranny), but 2-3 and 3-4 shifts can occur when you want, as opposed to redline shifts when the throttle is mashed in D.

Still miss the third pedal.

I occassionally drive my son's 5-speed Cobalt. It reminds me why I'd never buy a manual transmission car for my daily driver.

I've found them to be sluggish, but admittedly it's been a long time since I've driven a car with that type of transmission so maybe they've gotten better.

Still miss the third pedal.
As you should. :p

I occasionally drive my son's 5-speed Cobalt. It reminds me why I'd never buy a manual transmission car for my daily driver.
I've heard people say that all the time but I've never had an issue and it's not like I don't drive in traffic all the time. It just doesn't seem that bad. Maybe I just don't know any better at this point, both our cars are manuals.

I think it was a what he considered a comprimise... I got a phone call one day and was asked if I liked the color black or black cherry better... asked for what... he said it didn't matter... I came home to a black cherry car in the driveway pissed off that I didn't say black.
My sister-in-law was surprised with a car by her husband years ago, so my wife and I have had the discussion "never buy me a car without my input".

Back