10 old-house features you shouldn't abandon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my problem with the current house (they installed one right before we moved in) is that the put it in the part of the attic that is unfinished... I am NOT leaving the door open from the finished portion of upstairs into there because I can just see the German Shepard stepping somewhere there wasn't any floor, and going through the ceiling of the first floor, heck, I could see that happening with our fat cat... we have also had issues with birds in that part of the house. The steps also go the other direction anyway so it should have gone in the finished portion near the upstairs window so we could open the screen in porch door and draw the air through...

summer time we were running 3 to 4 window ac units and the attic fan and it is still often unbearable in parts of the house... then again right now, we have three extra heaters going to keep the house warm...

My current house has transom windows; my last house had those, Dutch doors, and a phone nook.

I might add a dumbwaiter and/or full-on elevator in a remodel. There's a pretty good chance that my wife or I may become disabled in the next twentyish years, so they would make sense.

Back