10 old-house features you shouldn't abandon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing made the list for me. But our house was built in 2000. A number of places we rented had laundry chutes though.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see the list...stupid work filters
Work blocks real-estate websites? :huh: Either way, here's the list:

10 old-house features you shouldn't abandon:
Dutch doors

Sleeping porches

Transom windows

Laundry chutes

Boot scrapers

Intercoms

Pocket shutters

Phone nook

Dumbwaiter

Mail slot

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a phone nook and a mail slot. Growing up we had both of those, plus a laundry chute. Now the phone nook is like a catchall.

None at this house. I made two doors into dutch doors at the last house. It was to coral toddlers in the 2nd flr bedroom and the basement. Didn't want them getting out of their bed during the night or trying to climb the stairs during the day. Worked pretty good.

The boot scrapers reminded me of this:

2262.jpg

We had a couple around the house and one in the barn.

we were very close to installing a laundry chute from the upstairs bathroom into the laundry room below it when we remodeled it a couple years ago. It would have required way too much extra work in the one spot where we had the room to do so.

I still haven't ruled out installing one in the walkin closet on the other side of the bathroom wall, but even that would require reworking and relocating of lighting and wiring in the laundry/utility room.

We have a phone nook. Looks like someone made it using a slice of bread as a template. House was built (supposedly) in 1932.

our "laundry chute" is a trap door in the bottom of the linen closet that drops into the laundry room below. My mother's old house was wired for a full intercom with the radio.

None, house is way too new. I really like transom windows though, and plan on putting them in my next house, whenever that may be.

We've got a laundry chute and mail slot. We also have a cellar with storage shelves perfectly spaced for quart mason jars. The coolest old thing in our house is the 1930s Schwinn bicycle boxes that someone used to line the walls of our way-back closets that are only accessible by crawling through a little door at the back of a clothes closet.

None, house is way too new. I really like transom windows though, and plan on putting them in my next house, whenever that may be.

For some reason, I was thinking the IRC made transoms illegal some code cycles back...

One thing not mentioned that was an awesome energy saver is whole house fans. Houses are too buttoned up for that now, I reckon.

For some reason, I was thinking the IRC made transoms illegal some code cycles back...

A bit surprising, but I'd imagine non-functional (non-opening, just the panes of glass) would still be permitted? A lot of public buildings still have them, and I think windows are allotted a different fire rating in certain applications as well (like 45 mins. vs. and hour, or something to that effect. Hell if I know, I build power plants).

A bit surprising, but I'd imagine non-functional (non-opening, just the panes of glass) would still be permitted? A lot of public buildings still have them, and I think windows are allotted a different fire rating in certain applications as well (like 45 mins. vs. and hour, or something to that effect. Hell if I know, I build power plants).

I don't have an IRC in front of me, but off the top of my head, windows have 0 fire rating, and transoms could be open, which defeats the whole purpose of rating. I might grab one and see what it says.

My house growing up had an attic fan. The vent was in the ceiling above the stairs. It could make your hair blow...

We had an attic fan. Dad would open the stair, prop it open with a wood block, then open a door at the opposite end of the house. Really moved some air.

He once said when his parents put in a whole house fan, it was a bigger improvement over nothing than AC was over the fan.

Back