Do we get sheets of paper to do our calculations?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no u dnt need to bring the sheet, just bring snacks, your exam authorization , id. that's it ! no cell phones either.

if u bring the cell phone u have to leave at front desk.

they provide enough space for calculations under the questions

good luck

All writing must be done in either the test booklet or answer sheet. If they see you writing anywhere else you can get into some serious trouble. It's also why all of your notes should be in ink. If your notes are in pencil, they have to assume you wrote them during the exam and can also get you in trouble (up to and including removal from the test center and automatic failure of the exam).

He can always have some glasses of scotch during lunch. This way he can kill off the weak brain cells from the morning and be really ready for the afternoon session.

Or do we bring our own?

If you are asking this question, it seems you have not read your NCEES Candidate Agreement. I suggest you do.

If you must use paper, you should have a separate writing utensil, the provided pencil is only allowed for use in the answer sheet and test booklet. Any extra space needed for calculations on sheets of paper need a separate BLUE pen.

These things are covered in candidate agreement. I also recommend you read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ False. NCEES does not want anything written on anything that can leave the room. I don't believe any outside writing utensils are allowed, but they will provide extra paper for calculations upon request that must be turned in when you turn in your exam.

Or do we bring our own?

If you are asking this question, it seems you have not read your NCEES Candidate Agreement. I suggest you do.

If you must use paper, you should have a separate writing utensil, the provided pencil is only allowed for use in the answer sheet and test booklet. Any extra space needed for calculations on sheets of paper need a separate BLUE pen.

Correct, and don't forget your cell phone, mp3 player/headphones, and pad of sticky notes. ;)

You don't need paper, IMO. there are enough space in the exam book for you to write on.

Or do we bring our own?

Correct, and don't forget your cell phone, mp3 player/headphones, and pad of sticky notes. ;)

I thought that should go without saying. Also, don't forget TI-89 calculators are ONLY allowed in the evening session, usually starts around 6:15pm. Don't be late getting back from the second meal break. When I was took it, it seemed like most of the folks didn't even bother to show up for the third part. I guess they decided the afternoon session was too hard.

Or do we bring our own?

I thought that should go without saying. Also, don't forget TI-89 calculators are ONLY allowed in the evening session, usually starts around 6:15pm. Don't be late getting back from the second meal break. When I was took it, it seemed like most of the folks didn't even bother to show up for the third part. I guess they decided the afternoon session was too hard.
You should have stuck around for the final and fourth session. In this session you're allowed to converse with your neighbors, or phone a friend if need be.

All writing must be done in either the test booklet or answer sheet. If they see you writing anywhere else you can get into some serious trouble. It's also why all of your notes should be in ink. If your notes are in pencil, they have to assume you wrote them during the exam and can also get you in trouble (up to and including removal from the test center and automatic failure of the exam).

Is this true? Some of my reference materials have small notes written in pencil. Is this going to be a problem?

Is this true? Some of my reference materials have small notes written in pencil. Is this going to be a problem?
Your best bet is to highlight any notes made in pencil. Also, during the exam, try to keep you NCEES pencil away from your notes. If the proctor suspects you're writing on your reference material and there are existing pencil marks there, it might be an issue.

It's been discussed in another thread.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=24880#entry7264180

I'm taking my chances. I have too many pencil markings throughout. It would be a waste of valuable time highlighting entire pages of notes. Let's be honest, who does math calculations with pen? That's just stupid, IMO.

I'm just not going to put my pencil near my reference books when I am looking in them. I'll set it down on the scantron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back