The last time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I started thinking about this after I had a dream about running through the shallows at the pond where I used to swim when I was a kid. In the dream, I was showing the pond to my wife, and telling her about all the good times I had there, and how much I missed running through the shallows. They were going to redevolp the property, so I ran through the shallows one last time.

It got me thinking. There are a lot of things we do for the last time, and never realize it; I never recalled how much I loved doing that as a kid until that dream, and really don't recall the last time I did it, but there was a last time.

Last time we got 9" of snow, I realized that quite possibly that was the last time I'd ever see a snowfall that big where I lived.

I have childhood toys...most of them I don't recall te last time I played with them, but they were well used.

So, what are some cherished last time memories? What are glad you did for the last time (like taking the PE October 2007--last time), what do you miss doing for the last time (dropping Smartees in the above mentioned pond, watching them dissolve).?

The last day I lived in my college town. It was so bittersweet and going back now is nothing like when I was enrolled there. I want to go back and tell 22-year-old me, "Enjoy it! Drink it all in!"

Man, this one really hit me. The first thing I thought of was the last time I saw my grandpa. I was 11 and had just spend a few weeks staying with my grandparents toward the end of the summer and I had to leave to go back home (we had moved from VA to NC the year before). I still remember leaving and him not wanting to give me a kiss because of me being a dumbass about something and making him mad. He died about a month and a half later. I had talked to him a couple of times since then, but it still weighs on me. I didn't realize it at the time, but I really hate looking back and not having a grandpa through my teenage years and early 20s. Man, who's cutting onions in here?

The last time I got to go snowmobiling with my dad and brother. He used to take us quite a bit on weekends when we were kids. Then we all just got too busy with life in general. I actually don't think I could narrow in on the date for the "last time".

The last day I lived in my college town. It was so bittersweet and going back now is nothing like when I was enrolled there. I want to go back and tell 22-year-old me, "Enjoy it! Drink it all in!"
This is a good one too. I would also say, "As soon as you leave here, real life kicks into full gear!"

I remember the day I left Warner Robins, GA, never to return. I have a picture of me at the pool, drinking a CAB and eating french fries. I look quite happy. Best move I ever made.

I remember the last time I saw my Grandad and both of my Grandmas.

I remember the last time I saw my cousin.

3 came to mind:

The last time I got stupid drunk. I believe it was a White Trash party I was hosting at my house. I was already married, but it was still in college. At one point I was playing Spin the Bottle, but somehow we figured out rules to add a stripping element (no, Mrs Dex wasn't playing. Yes, she was aware that I was - that's how drunk we were). The sight of a 40 of Old English still makes me a little queasy.

Last time I saw my grandma. Mrs Dex and I went on a road trip shortly after graduating highschool (we had only been dating a year at that point), and somewhere on the way back I got the call from my parents letting me know she had lost her battle with lung cancer after 50 some-odd years of smoking. She was a big part of my life while growing up. My brother, sister, and I would spend hours each week at her house. We never lacked for things to do there.

The last time I saw my dad. This is one I still struggle with. Both of my parents are still alive, but shortly after my son was born (late summer 2005) my dad revealed that he was transgender and would be living the rest of his life as a woman. The last picture I have of my "dad" is still haning up over my desk. It was a 4-generation picture from my sister's wedding with my grandfather, my son, my dad, and myself. Nothing has been the same since with my family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the last time I was in the house that I lived in once we moved to NC. My parents sold it in September of 2012 and I helped them pack up the last bit of furniture and boxes. I don't think I even took a last walk around to really look at it now that I think about it. I only really lived there about 8 years because once I left for college I never went back for more than a few weeks at a time.

I remember the last shots I fired at the Olympic Training Center and the Ohio State range.

I remember the last late-night cigarette I had on the walkway at Ohio State that spanned the Olentangy River.

I remember the last time I drank a Troegg's Nugget Nectar. It was a great night where the bar staff closed down early and booted everyone out but their close friends. We were completely shithoused, but a lot of great conversation. Music was turned down, lighting was low. Ended up just being a great night.

The last time I saw my uncle before he died. I remember taking one last look at him in the rear view mirror when I we left the farm and wondering how many more years he would be able to keep it going. That was late October of 2008. He died in a farm accident in February of 2009.

Related: The last time I baled hay for my uncle. Summer of 1999. I mowed and raked 25 acres with the tractor he taught me to drive when I was 5 years old. That same tractor now resides in my garage.

The last time I drove my Beetle. The motor was shot. Drove it to the mechanics, took a picture, took the tags off, and walked away.

Last time I drove my first new car. Traded it in on a Ranger.

I tend to have hope that nothing will actually be the last time for anything... we never know what the future holds nor do we know what is after. I'm sure your dream about the pond felt very real while you were asleep, so perhaps we aren't able to do something like that again physically... but that doesn't mean you aren't reliving the memories which can often be just as real and usually better.

The last time I had to use a dial-up internet connection.

BEST................DAY................EVER.

Got that one beat.

The last time I badged out of the nuclear station as a direct employee of the utility. I will never forget the sound of the solenoid on the turn style.

most of the last times i remember are all sad....and remind me why I try not visit people in the hospital anymore unless I absolutely have to.

Back