Engineering Economics on EE Power Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshtrevino

Reaction score
What engineering economics concepts should I focus on for the PE power exam? I have heard that there are enough econ questions on the exam that I should definitely review it.

I have been reviewing the basics

Present worth, future worth, annual cost, things like that

Get familar with every practice exam problem you can find. Establish a routine method and practice it. These are gimme points on the test, and no one should overlook them. Plus, understanding these concepts actualy helps in real life.

I was surprised to see that the current version of the NCEES sample questions had no econ questions..unless I missed them?

Just be aware that the Kaiser exam was produced before the Electrical PE exam went to field specific in the morning. The sample problems are basically a General Electrical exam modeled after the old morning section. I'm sure the problems are still useful, but they may not be representative of the new exam.

The older version of the NCEES sample questions include econ problems. It's the older one, pre 2009 (?), pre new exam format.

What engineering economics concepts should I focus on for the PE power exam? I have heard that there are enough econ questions on the exam that I should definitely review it.
Well I took the Electrical P.E the last October and if I remember correct there was about 3 or 4 of this questions during the morning and the same amount durring the afternoon , my advice is study all about this chapters , there are a good examples in the NCEES books either F.E or P.E books , look this way 4out of 40 =10% morning P.E and 4 out 40 during the afternoon is 10 % more for P.E exam.

Good luck

Yes it should be close to the same. Also if you are in grad school, Managerial Accounting or Corporate Finance would cover these same areas. Some distance learning master degree programs also have refresher courses on Engineering Economics that will help tremendously on the topic.

You should know NPV, Cash Flows, Free Cash Flows, Discounted Cash Flows, amortization of loans, operating costs,.... a lot of common sense stuff if you can do math, and think out the questions.

Back