Cut Score by State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addison2481

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that each state board determines it's own cut score for the PE exam. Is that the case? With the exam being a national exam, that seems odd.

I seem to remember reading that each state board determines it's own cut score for the PE exam. Is that the case? With the exam being a national exam, that seems odd.
No... it's not true. NCEES does the cut score setting and provides the results to the states. Some (well, at least one: Georgia) allows certain groups (military veterans) to get licensed with a 65 rather than the standard pass-fail that correlates to the 70 cut score.

Ultimately, it's up to the states to decide what to do with the national exam offered by NCEES, but they can't do their own cut score analysis. They have to use the results given by NCEES.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a veterans work in NY that is he using the NY cut score or the Georgia cut score?

If a veterans work in NY that is he using the NY cut score or the Georgia cut score?
I say again, there is only ONE cut score. It is 70%. At or above 70% NCEES calls it a pass for "minimally competent". Below 70% NCEES calls it a fail for "not minimally competent". How NCEES develops this cut score from a raw score is a mystery to most. Still, a state is free to use the NCEES cut score however they want. Georgia will give you a license with a 65% score but it isn't a reanalysis of the raw score.

Back