Does GPA matter

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electromaniac

Reaction score
So, I am finishing off my second degree in Electrical engineering. Man, it is tougher than computer engineering. Anyhow, I am expecting a GPA of 2.7 due to all the signals courses that I am struggling with. Do employers require a GPA when I get a job or do they ask if I have a diploma?

Thanks

It depends on the company. I would say if you are looking at a top tier company, your gpa may come into play. I would say a majority won't put too much weight on it. make sure you are ready to answer the question why your gpa is what it is. anything else you can do to overshadow your gpa is a good idea (internship, extra curriculars, etc,)

As you progress in your career, experience will matter more. I would say after 2-3 years, most companies won't care.

My GPA was 2.5 in under grad. I have been at the same company, consider my self successful and got into a top 5 MBA school, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I was never asked about my GPA when applying for any job after my undergraduate degree. I had approximately thirty or so interviews before getting into my first job - after that they looked for experience + advanced education.

I would make sure to emphasize the quality of your education and any work experience, co-op or internship, or independent-type projects that you can use to showcase your talents and ability.

Good luck!

JR

I was never asked about my GPA when applying for any job after my undergraduate degree. I had approximately thirty or so interviews before getting into my first job - after that they looked for experience + advanced education.
Other than first employment, I didn't think ANYONE cared about GPA. Will I need to even include it on my resume after 20 years of work experience?

There will certainly be places that require you to report your GPA or provide a transcript, but DO NOT let that keep you from applying for jobs that have a minimum GPA listed in the requirements. If you can get into an interview without telling them your GPA, then impress the hell out of them, 9 times out of 10 they won't even bother talking about grades before making an offer.

Once you are out of school and have some experience under your belt, the value of the GPA diminishes greatly. Experience trumps grades 999 times out of 1000 in the real world. My dad still doesn't get this ...he basically never left academia...went straight from his Doctorate into teaching and administration.

Never had anyone ask about my GPA, just about the courses I've taken. If you are trying to get a job, figure out which courses you are going to have to use while doing that job and mention them. Try to recall some of the things that you remember most and fit them in during your answer (POSITIVE THINGS ONLY!). For example, if you are trying to get a project managment job, tell about how during your "insert class here", you were given a mock project that you were required to carry through from phase to phase (or what ever is aplicable)

I think most people remember that college was not only about learning in your classes but developing your balance between managing on your own and learning about life in general...

** Just as a point of reference, the federal government's resume format requires GPA to be listed regardless of where in a career a person is. It probably doesnt play a big role in selection, but its there for the screening board to see.

It all depends. About half the companies I have interviewed with asked for my GPA, and a couple wanted my transcript as well.

When interviewing candidates for a job, my company would not hire anyone below a 2.5 GPA. Also, I would not recommend listing it on your resume. Just list honors or latin designation if you were an outstaning student.

GPA is of the utmost importance. It will be with you forever and it the first thing employers look at no matter what stage of your career you are in. If you have anything less then a perfect 4.0 you should stop wasting your time, drop out and become a garbage collector or janitor or perhaps a low level functionary at a fast food establishment/truck stop. ;)

Kidding!

GPA seems to be an important criteria for an entry level position, but only as far as getting an interview. Some companies won't interview applicants unless they have a minimum GPA but once you get your foot in the door and get an interview it seems that GPA is rather irrelevant.

My employer wouldn't hire anyone with less than a 3.0 for an entry level position. After that entry level position they still ask for transcripts but I think that is more to verify that a candidate actually did get a degree. I don't think they are concerned with GPA after about 5 years of experience. For a while it was rare for my company to hire anyone without a M.S.. I was lucky that I had that covered.

Also, I would not recommend listing it on your resume. Just list honors or latin designation if you were an outstaning student.
not for anything but if if you could list "honors or latin designation" then the idea of reporting or not reporting your GPA should not be an issue.

I agree with most of the posts here. It's a factor in getting an entry level job because that's the 'experience' you have for them to evaluate.

If you did well in college though, I'd put it on your resume for future jobs. A little eye candy never hurts. I graduated with honors both times and list that on there. I worked hard to earn it, why not put it on there.

if i ever interviewed with someone that asked me what my GPA was I would get up and leave, it has no impact on "real work"

if i ever interviewed with someone that asked me what my GPA was I would get up and leave, it has no impact on "real work"
One of the most surreal experiences of my life happened in an interview. I had my BS in engineering and had about 3 years of experience at this point. The interviewer kept asking me questions about clubs and organizations that I had been a part of in HIGH SCHOOL! I was so dumbfounded by the stupidity of the questions that I probably came off looking like a sputtering moron. I didn't get the job...and I think that's a blessing.

^^Was it some retard from HR asking these questions? Those guys ask the most inane, useless questions...

^^Was it some retard from HR asking these questions? Those guys ask the most inane, useless questions...
Actually, it was Bill Bastian IV of Bastian Material Handling. I.e. he was the owner. That's what made it all the more weird.

Oh geez...

That would throw me for a loop too...

Back on topic. As everyone has said already, your GPA only really matters on your first one or two jobs... My first two employers both asked for copies of my transcripts... I haven't been asked that since then...

But my latest job surprised me by asking for copies of my degrees... Before everyone just assumed I had them, I guess I could have lied, no one ever checked... I had a hard time finding them as they were buried somewhere in the basement.

For an entry level position at the national laboratories (Sandia, Los Alamos, Livermore), there is a stated minimun GPA requirement of 3.5. It may become less important for non entry level jobs. The labs like to pick-and-choose contractors for direct employment that have been working for them for a while and have proven themselves. Since the labs generally have great benefits that cost them lots of money, they like to be sure about people they hire. I guess the only way they feel they can do that with fresh out of school people is with GPA. (Of course this is probably hit and miss).

I do not fully agree with people who say that GPA doesn't matter at all. I agree that a 4.0 GPA doesn't guarantee that an employee will be a success in the real world. However, obtaining and maintaining a good GPA throughout an engineering curriculm is difficult and takes a lot of hard work. Thus it cannot simply be discounted. Otherwise, all classes would be based on a "pass" or "fail" scheme.

I was the type that finished with a good GPA but had to but my ass to do it. Other types include those who busted their ass and didn't get that great of a GPA, those who screwed off and didn't get that great of a GPA, and those who screwed off and got a good GPA (probably few and far between).

After being in the laboratory R & D world for about 6.5 years now, my hiring criteria is roughly based on the following requirements, in order. (I am not a manager, and thus do not get the final say. Several engineers usually interview candidates, however, and give their recommendations to the hiring manager).

1. Personality- Does this person come of as being a "self centered", "all about me" type that nobody will want to

work with regardless of how smart they are? Or will they be an easy to get along with, team player. Are they

willing to take advice from people who are technically "below" them education wise?

2. Work ethic- Has this person payed their dues and earned their way into this position or has "daddy" managed to

pull strings for them every step of the way (We all know of these!)? This can be hard to determine from an

interview. Questions about non-work related past activities can assist here.

3. Team work- Is this individual willing to help out regardless of the task that needs to be done? Are they going to

piss and moan about tasks that they think are below them?

4. GPA, past jobs, etc.

Of course life isn't always fair. Thus, if you do have a lower GPA, it may be a little harder to get in somewhere. But in the end, your work will speak for itself. And if you are asked for your GPA by somebody interviewing you, by all means tell them what it was with an explanation if necessary. Don't get defensive and try to throw it back at them as not being important. If it wasn't important to them they wouldn't have asked in the first place. And by all means, DO NOT walk out of the interview if you are asked for your GPA, it happens to be low, and you get mad at them for asking. Unless of course you have 10 other interviews lined up and are sure none of them are going to ask for your GPA either.

My .02

One more thing I forgot to mention. I believe some employers, including mine, are requiring transcripts because quite a few people as of late are trying to pass off 4 year Engineering Technology degrees as 4 year Engineering degrees. Their resumes are specifically stating "Engineering". I think my employer has finally decided that the title of "Engineer" can be "honorarily" bestowed upon somebody with significant experience, like 20 years plus. (This is few and far between, however). I don't know if I even agree with this. It is probably a way of "grandfathering" in some of the individuals that they have already done this for in past years. I can't believe how loosely the term "engineer" is thrown around sometimes.

Every job I've ever had, including the present one, required college transcripts. Trust but verify, I suppose.

Back