Does GPA matter

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
***So said guy from above didn't know how to use Excel, so he LITERALLY cut and pasted spreadsheets together. Like, with scissors and tape. Someone else found the remnants of his sheets after he was shown the door.
The literal cut and paste is unprofessional but it isn't that bad. Heck, if we noticed a typo or error in our papers (highschool and college days) the morning they were due and didn't have access to a printer, we would cut out letters/words from the earlier editions of the paper, stick it in the correct place with chapstick and make a copy on the copier.

In the nuke world, literal cut and paste of documents is often called "conduct of operations" or conops for short. So now you know where all of us low GPA guys ended up.

Last edited by a moderator:
GPA. Size. Criminal history.

Why does any of it have to matter? Why can't people judge us for who we are?

***So said guy from above didn't know how to use Excel, so he LITERALLY cut and pasted spreadsheets together. Like, with scissors and tape. Someone else found the remnants of his sheets after he was shown the door.
When I worked with the DoD, we didn't have CAD to generate ECOs. I got the task because I had hand drafting in college (the last class to do so). I had to cut and paste, and hand draw the changes, then photocopy the result.

Beleive it or not, I did that until I quit in '95.

So, I am finishing off my second degree in Electrical engineering. Man, it is tougher than computer engineering. Anyhow, I am expecting a GPA of 2.7 due to all the signals courses that I am struggling with. Do employers require a GPA when I get a job or do they ask if I have a diploma?
Thanks
My company requires a 3.0 to get an interview. After a few years of experience not many companies care about your GPA, but some companies see it as crucial to getting in the door. However, if you started slow adjusting to college life, many people will take that into consideration as long as your grades improved toward the end. Also, if your grades in the classes you will be responsible for were good some might make an exception. Good luck

Back