Writing in Crane's Technical Paper during Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy

Is this it?
Reaction score
One of the rules in Texas, is ONLY writing in the exam booklet. I purchased Crane's technical paper a few weeks ago. All of the problems I've worked so far, require writing and drawing lines on the nomographs to solve the problems. For those that used Crane's during the exam, how did you use Crane's without writing in it? or... Did you write in Crane's to draw lines on the nomographs during the exam?

I took the civil PE exam, but I still had nomographs, charts, and tables where it was difficult to simply read off a value without using something to marks or guides. I ended up bringing a number of rulers and triangles that I used to lay flat as place holders in place of making marks in the books. :true:

Good luck.

JR

That's crazy. I guess now I have to practice the problems without writing on the nomographs. Oh well. Thank you for the advice. I'll plan on taking in several rulers. I don't want to get kicked out for something as crazy as that.

I took the chemical text Oct 06 and passed without Cranes, the charts and tables in the ChemE Lindeburg review book were very helpful. I second the rulers..i brought one, could have used two, ended up using edge of test booklet in some cases.

I never did like using nomographs. I could punch interpolations into my calculator faster then most people could draw a straight line. TABLES FTW!!!!

From reading past posts, I've found that I only had about 1/3 of the books that passing ChE's had. I studied and only took the ChERM 6th ed, ChERM practice problems, ChERM practice exams, ChERM Quick Review with me to the exam the first time. The second time, I studied and took all of those books, plus the NCEES exam. This time around I'm going thru some new material, including Crane's, ChERM 5th ed, DAS (the review book, practice problems, exams) -- but focusing on my weak areas based on my diagnostic. I've know of a couple of people at work who passed using only the material that I used the first time around.

From reading past posts, I've found that I only had about 1/3 of the books that passing ChE's had. I studied and only took the ChERM 6th ed, ChERM practice problems, ChERM practice exams, ChERM Quick Review with me to the exam the first time. The second time, I studied and took all of those books, plus the NCEES exam. This time around I'm going thru some new material, including Crane's, ChERM 5th ed, DAS (the review book, practice problems, exams) -- but focusing on my weak areas based on my diagnostic. I've know of a couple of people at work who passed using only the material that I used the first time around.

Rudy: I think you'll find that whatever references are necessary to solve the practice NCEES exam, are the same ones you want to take into the exam. I found the ChERM practice problems nearly useless along with their practice exam. However, the 6 min. solutions were o.k. and the ChERM 5th and 6th Ed. were the most necessary (like 70% of all problems). Perry's is good for design questions, but you can't spend too much time looking through it. DAS will help on a few, as will a specific kinetics reference such as Fogler or Levenspiel.

Make sure you can solve 100% of the practice NCEES exam, and whatever is necessary for that, take to the exam. I had crane with me and probably only used it for steam tables...if that. ChERM 6th ed. has good references in the back.

Good luck.

Back