April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep - Page 16 - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Chattaneer PE

April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Also I'm hesitant to buy a whole lot of references in the event that the October exam does get cancelled. I guess they will help with preparation but I just don't know. 

Triple post? So not spam

14 minutes ago, Dothracki said:

Also I'm hesitant to buy a whole lot of references in the event that the October exam does get cancelled. I guess they will help with preparation but I just don't know. 

Ohhhh if they cancel it again imma be SO mad. I dont care if we have to take it in scuba gear or whatever. Plus I still havent receive a refund on my hotel room. 😑

Is anyone taking the new power reference with them to the October exam?! Lol I skimmed through it the other day and it seems like a decent reference, albeit a tiny one.

I can only imagine the look on everyones' faces if someone walked into one of the previous exams with only that book and a calculator 😂

Edited by Chattaneer PE
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chattaneer PE said:

Is anyone taking the new power reference with them to the October exam?! Lol I skimmed through it the other day and it seems like a decent reference, albeit a tiny one.

I can only imagine the look on everyones' faces if someone walked into one of the previous exams with only that book and a calculator 😂

I probably will print it out and put it in one of my binders, I don't know how much use I will get from it though. 

20 hours ago, speakeelsy said:

Walls of text are great... Here's mine.

Last time I worked through Graffeo first. It was a good review since i've been out of school 8+ yrs.

Found Zach's course and signed up for it. Went through the entire course and filled up 3 notebooks with notes on all the videos and examples. I tabbed all those and reference them a lot. Ill probably skim through the course again over the next month and retake the quizzes. And it looks like Zach has added new stuff too!

I created a binder with all of the live class and formula sheets for Zach's class. I mostly use this binder for reference.

When i bought EngProGuides technical guide, i put it into its own binder, divided by subject. I need to go through the formula sheets though.

I also have Zach's exam, and all 3 of EPG's exams in their own 1/2 inch binders. I did all of these the last round, and plan to take them again. 

I bought the Cram book and all exams which are excellent and totally recommend since i dont see it in your list.  I only completed the first exam before the test was cancelled so i have the other 3 to take. Ill probably do one over a week instead of timed, and the other 2 as timed practice tests.

I went through 1 exam in Complex Imaginary... The exam was easier, but the code drill book was great practice. I plan to use these as practice problems.

Ive got a binder full of extra references, and plan to add more to it!

I read/skimmed a lot of Wildi last round, and i finally got a hardcopy of Blackburn in April, so im planning to skim through and tab it.

I went through several of the protection chapters and examples in the Glover book last round and plan to repeat that.

Also have the ncees practice test which i plan to take again too.

I do not have the PPI stuff like you do - i keep hearing mixed reviews about it. 

Overall, ive got 3 milk crates, but 2 are mostly extra stuff. Gonna roll a dolly into the exam!

That makes me feel like I need more! But it's apples and oranges I guess when it comes to whatever works lol.

To me PPI feels more like theory instead of application. Great reference but you can get lost in a hurry in the thick of deriving equations etc. 

I am going to look into Cram books in a few weeks. Great suggestion and just like the other poster said I am cautious to spend the money until I know it's happening this time.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 11:47 AM, lturner said:

That makes me feel like I need more! But it's apples and oranges I guess when it comes to whatever works lol.

To me PPI feels more like theory instead of application. Great reference but you can get lost in a hurry in the thick of deriving equations etc. 

I am going to look into Cram books in a few weeks. Great suggestion and just like the other poster said I am cautious to spend the money until I know it's happening this time.

Everyone retains things differently so do what works for you!

I had most everything purchased for the april exam. I think the only things i've added are the 4th Cram exam, the actual engineering economics analysis, and the book of batteries which i had contemplated buying before (and i may have a slight book addiction) also thinking of adding nfpa 780.

@Chattaneer PE I did print the new handbook, and it's going in my book haul for sure. It's got some good info in a condensed format, and it might be the fastest way to find a formula.

It's probably been reiterated enough times, but Graffeo is no good and the Cram exams are probably the closest thing you'll get to the real test. I swear, Mr. Flanagan must have access to the test bank or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what they're doing about the NEC, NESC, and hazard code books when the test goes CBT? Will all of those be digital as well? Man, if I could've had a digital copy of the NEC to do a "ctrl+F" on that would have been awesome.

Just now, Chattaneer PE said:

Does anyone know what they're doing about the NEC, NESC, and hazard code books when the test goes CBT? Will all of those be digital as well? Man, if I could've had a digital copy of the NEC to do a "ctrl+F" on that would have been awesome.

I believe they will have those in digital format. I have the PDF of NEC 2008, 2014, and 2017 for work and the find feature is great.

6 hours ago, Dothracki said:

I believe they will have those in digital format. I have the PDF of NEC 2008, 2014, and 2017 for work and the find feature is great.

That's going to put "Tom Henry's Key Word Index" out if business lol.

Also just received this from NCEES.  I'm going to wear a mask during all practice exams and study periods to get used to it.

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.cmail19.com%2Fti%2Fy%2F95%2F8D6%2F125%2F142542%2Fimages%2Flogo.gif&t=1596659560&ymreqid=4ca44908-dedf-e18e-2e37-f90012010a00&sig=_Uqj0OD0hik05V53c6_W1A--~D

To help ensure the health, safety, and welfare of examinees and proctoring teams, NCEES is implementing the following measures for the October 2020 exam administration.

• No one may enter the exam facility if they have met any of the COVID-19 qualifications listed here.
  • Examinees and proctors will be required to wear face masks that cover the mouth and nose for the entire exam session. Face shields may not be used as a substitute for face masks but may be worn in addition to face masks. Face coverings must be removed for proper identification when instructed by a proctor. Proctors may visually inspect face coverings.
  • Examinees will be seated alone at a table properly spaced from other tables.
  • Examinees must practice social distancing outside the exam room before the exam starts, during breaks, and when the exam ends. Proctors will be asked to monitor examinees and ensure adequate space is being maintained.
  • Examinees will be allowed to have the following items in the exam room, but these items may not be placed on the desktop:
        •  Hand sanitizer and wipes
        •  Extra face coverings
        •  Disposable gloves

If you are unable or unwilling to follow these measures, please cancel your exam as soon as possible to help us seat as many examinees as possible during this administration. You must cancel your exam before registration closes on August 20 at 3:00 p.m. EDT in order to receive a full refund of your exam registration fee. Cancellations made after registration closes are not eligible for a refund.

Please note that all exam sites must comply with local capacity and social distancing requirements, which are subject to change at any time. Although every effort will be made to seat all registered examinees, any changes that require a further reduction in capacity may result in the cancellation of your exam and a full refund of your registration fee. NCEES is monitoring the situation and evaluating options to increase testing capacities. You will be notified if other testing options become available.

NCEES

Edited by DuranDuran
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 9:39 AM, Chattaneer PE said:

Yup, code books will be provided via PDF!