October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck - Page 3 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
RBHeadge PE

October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Recommended Posts

Yep MD here too...the clapping was obnoxious—I just wanted to cry after that mess!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I refuse to clap, would they void my exam?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, john813 said:

Said the AM Civil was hard. Anyone else feel that way, or did he not study long enough? lol. 

I didn't feel like the AM section was exceptionally difficult. There were definitely a handful of difficult questions, but I feel like most of them could be thought through or found in references eventually.  Granted, I spent quite a bit of time preparing, so it could have actually been harder than I thought it was.

Edited by Will.I.Am
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RBHeadge PE ok that’s fair. I’m an overly ambitious box checker so for me, it didn’t make sense. The box isn’t checked yet.

@DaisyD I know, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Will.I.Am said:

I didn't feel like the AM section was exceptionally difficult. There were definitely a handful of difficult questions, but I feel like most of them could be thought through or found in references eventually.  Granted, I spent quite a bit of time preparing, so it could have actually been harder than I thought it was.

Same. Unless I just made a bunch of math errors and I’m stuck in some sort of ignorant bliss. lol 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jean15paul_PE said:

If I refuse to clap, would they void my exam?

My eyes rolled so hard. I just gave a slow clap and turned to my table mate and said “I mean... I’d rather clap after I pass” lol 

It felt very... “everybody gets a trophy”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd time taking the Civil (Geotech). AM felt slightly more difficult this time around but overall not too crazy. PM was really heavy on the conceptual, almost masks itself as "easy" but tends to just leave me furiously flipping through my resources. Kind of amazing how you can take 2 completely different exams, prepare differently with better references, and walk out of the room basically feeling the same.

Is it okay to float precariously through Phases 0-5 on a daily basis? lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Enginerd_21 said:

PM was really heavy on the conceptual

Amen to that. I had to lean pretty heavily on my geotechnical education and experience for a number of questions. If not for those, I would have felt much less confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 2:17 PM, Chattaneer said:

Is anyone here required to have a license for their job, or did you take the exam just to have a license in your back pocket just in case?

I fall under the latter category since I work in the electric utility industry. I'm interested to know who all needs the license and why.

I'm in consulting as well. It is not "required" for advancement within most consulting firms, but strongly desired. All of our associate principles and principles at my firm, except one, have at PE license. So while not required, it is essentially necessary. 

I am looking to move up into a more project management role, so a PE is the first step toward that goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DilutedAr18 said:

I'm in consulting as well. It is not "required" for advancement within most consulting firms, but strongly desired. All of our associate principles and principles at my firm, except one, have at PE license. So while not required, it is essentially necessary. 

I am looking to move up into a more project management role, so a PE is the first step toward that goal.

I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.

Edited by jean15paul_PE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jean15paul_PE said:

I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.

Typically, in private industry, firms require a PE of any Principal or Executive responsible for signing contracts over a certain dollar amount due to legal liability. If I wanted to be a Senior VP overseeing construction projects at the last company I worked for, a PE would have been a requirement. The role itself only requires basic knowledge of construction and design process principals. It required more PM experience and cost management knowledge more than anything. 

I have a PMP and a CCM. These credentials were value much more than a PE. Where I am now, I don't need it to design anything and, aside from putting together site utilization plans when I was fresh out of college 15 years ago, I've never designed anything in my life. I oversee a number of designers, engineers, and billions of dollars in contracts. Therefore, it's required to mitigate liability and risk more than anything. 

Edited by civilrobot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, civilrobot said:

Typically, in private industry, firms require a PE of any Principal or Executive responsible for signing contracts over a certain dollar amount due to legal liability. If I wanted to be a Senior VP overseeing construction projects at the last company I worked for, a PE would have been a requirement. The role itself only requires basic knowledge of construction and design process principals. It required more PM experience and cost management knowledge more than anything. 

I have a PMP and a CCM. These credentials were value much more than a PE. Where I am now, I don't need it to design anything and, aside from putting together site utilization plans when I was fresh out of college 15 years ago, I've never designed anything in my life. I oversee a number of designers, engineers, and billions of dollars in contracts. Therefore, it's required to mitigate liability and risk more than anything. 

Thanks for the insight.

Also, PMP, CCM, and now PE. NICE!
I see you shining :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jean15paul_PE said:

I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.

For us, most of our PMs do have their PEs. Some have PMP as well but the way PMP is taught and such isn't the same way as we do PM.

 

We have engineering PMs within our T&D group, they don't design but do use technical knowledge typically at least weekly. And then we have our program PMs, most of them don't do any design work and some have never done design (at least that's been my observation). The Engineering PMs come from our design team. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jean15paul_PE said:

I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.

I am not sold yet on management versus technical at this point, but either way it is an expectation. I'm going to start down the management side and see if that is indeed where I see myself fitting. Having a PE is a good way to distinguish yourself from others as not everyone can attain one.

Even in management positions (PMs, associate principles, principles), our people still use technical skills to do master planning, preliminary planning, scope/fee development, etc. before handing off projects to design engineers, so I don't believe that having a PE is an unused aspect within those management positions. It gives you credibility among other professionals as well, which can certainly be of use.

Edited by DilutedAr18
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Has anyone gotten the post exam survey yet?

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Has anyone gotten the post exam survey yet?

No survey yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Has anyone gotten the post exam survey yet?

LOL here we go

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Has anyone gotten the post exam survey yet?

Negatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jean15paul_PE said:

I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.

As a project manager, I realized from the get-go that a PE may not be necessary for me, but I have seen quite a few PM's on LinkedIn who have their PE. I've found that when it comes to managing technical projects, it helps tremendously to have a solid techincal foundation. I also realize a PMP might be a better "fit", but I'm still early in my career and have no idea if I'll still be in project management in 5 years. I do know I want to continue down a management track, which is why I plan on starting my MBA next year (started my application the day after the  exam lol).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the Civil - Structural Exam in Houston. Worst part about it was that we started over an hour late. I didn't think the exam was too bad. I really hope I am not just overconfident. I am firmly in the suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, civilrobot said:

People keep saying congratulations and I don’t get it. The proctors said congratulations and made us clap. People at work keep saying congratulations and it’s unnerving. I haven’t done anything yet! I just studied and took an exam because that’s what you’re supposed to do.

Seems like oddly placed accolades.  I mean yes, good job sticking through the studying and sitting for the exam but I'm with you, save the clapping for a notification of success...

To each their own I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Has anyone gotten the post exam survey yet?

I hope no one get a survey this time.  That would be disappointing.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pse19622 said:

As a project manager, I realized from the get-go that a PE may not be necessary for me, but I have seen quite a few PM's on LinkedIn who have their PE. I've found that when it comes to managing technical projects, it helps tremendously to have a solid techincal foundation. I also realize a PMP might be a better "fit", but I'm still early in my career and have no idea if I'll still be in project management in 5 years. I do know I want to continue down a management track, which is why I plan on starting my MBA next year (started my application the day after the  exam lol).

You won't regret it. I have an MBA and with a technical background, it's helped me to advance significantly. Makes you more marketable in private industry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...