Eng Pro Guide Exam 1 (Batteries) - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
TakiTaki

Eng Pro Guide Exam 1 (Batteries)

Can someone please help me understand why increasing ambient temperature help increase the output capacity of the battery? What exactly do they mean by output capacity of battery?

image.thumb.png.2ca49298fc413652e9227d65da083890.png

Any battery is an electro-chemical device.  Increasing temperature tends to increase the energy released by the chemical reaction.  As an every-day example, it's why your car battery may work just fine on a 70 degree day and not be able to start the car when it's 30 outside.

4 hours ago, TakiTaki said:

Can someone please help me understand why increasing ambient temperature help increase the output capacity of the battery? What exactly do they mean by output capacity of battery?

image.thumb.png.2ca49298fc413652e9227d65da083890.png

Batteries perform better in higher temperatures except for extreme temperatures.  

Batteries have internal resistance (there are some good YouTube videos on this).  Imagine a 12 volt battery.  The load will not draw a full 12 volts because there is a small voltage drop due to this internal resistance.  12V = Vdrop + V_load.

In slightly warmer environments (not extreme), this resistance is less allowing for more output (volts provided to the load).

2 hours ago, Flyer_PE said:

Any battery is an electro-chemical device.  Increasing temperature tends to increase the energy released by the chemical reaction.  As an every-day example, it's why your car battery may work just fine on a 70 degree day and not be able to start the car when it's 30 outside.

I didn’t see your answer.  Sorry didn’t mean to give a competing explanation.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, Wow! said:

I didn’t see your answer.  Sorry didn’t mean to give a competing explanation.

No worries.  I should have added that, for vented lead acid cells, you can find correction factors for temperature vs. battery capacity in IEEE Standard 485 (Sizing) and 450 (Maintenance and Testing).