Stormwater modeling is important but Geotech is Importantor.. - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Road Guy

Stormwater modeling is important but Geotech is Importantor..

This is in between Denver and Boulder. Curious to what the final conclusion on the cause will be.  Also I placed this into the "glad I didn't work on this one" column...

US 36.jpg

• fudgey 1

I'm going to be surprised if this doesn't shut down both directions of the highway soon.....

Is that part of the toll section? 

It's an environmental feature. Can't drive if the roads are closed...

58 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Was that in service prior to the accident?

Looks like they noticed it and closed it prior to full failure.

https://www.9news.com/article/traffic/cdot-rerouted-lanes-of-eastbound-us-36-will-open-wednesday-as-work-continues-to-repair-crack/73-1cd31d03-fd11-4106-adde-eb532df4548d

It looks like the collapse is getting worse. I'm surprised they're still letting cars drive on the other side of the road.

• Like 1

Well CDOT does have a US History Major running the department.......

& yeah I realize that individual probably isn't making the important decision but if you saw this person on the news, well just lol...

11 hours ago, Dexman PE PMP said:

"A situation like this is not unheard of –, especially for longtime Colorado residents.

The evening of Aug. 2, 1985, two Burlington Northern trains collided head-on beneath a U.S. 36 overpass near the same spot that's collapsing today, igniting a fireball that could be seen for miles and heavily damaging a bridge then carrying 37,000 vehicles a day."

Cripes. That was a stretch to get people to click on an article from last year about a wreck from 35 years ago that WAS TWO TRAINS AND NOT THE SAME THING. 

Lots of news media and social media comments of the "this is what you get with low bid" variety,  I don't chime in but this was a Design Build Contract (best Value Not Low Bid), which was later rolled into a DBFOM (Design Build Finance Operate Maintain) contract.

So the taxpayers shouldn't be paying for any of the repairs (Assuming there isn't an RFI out there where the owner relieved the concessionaire from Global Stability, or made some other decision which transferred risk - but hopefully not)

24 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

Lots of news media and social media comments of the "this is what you get with low bid" variety,  I don't chime in but this was a Design Build Contract (best Value Not Low Bid), which was later rolled into a DBFOM (Design Build Finance Operate Maintain) contract.

So the taxpayers shouldn't be paying for any of the repairs (Assuming there isn't an RFI out there where the owner relieved the concessionaire from Global Stability, or made some other decision witch transferred risk - but hopefully not)

But this would be a kind of amazing social media comment. 

yeah I am just a little too close to some people working on this if you catch my drift (don't need to be in the comment section) :D

So I can steal it? 

20 hours ago, csb said:

Cripes. That was a stretch to get people to click on an article from last year about a wreck from 35 years ago that WAS TWO TRAINS AND NOT THE SAME THING.

You do what you have to when you get paid per 1000 clicks.

• Like 1

So, someone forgot to carry the 1?