Pass Rate Updates - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
fyrfytr310

Pass Rate Updates

Does anyone know how long it takes NCEES to update the published pass rates?

varies, but recently its within the first week of release.

• Like 1

The results are out. I got an email today, 5/14/19

Edited by Geralyn
Mis spelling

Those must've just updated.  When I posted the link, they weren't.

LMAO power and it's terrible passing rate. Not surprised. Hopefuly third time is the charm.

• Like 5

Just now, ashmur90 said:

LMAO power and it's terrible passing rate. Not surprised. Hopefuly third time is the charm.

I thought the pass rate on the Industrial exam looked skewed. 

32 minutes ago, ashmur90 said:

Power is notorious for its very low pass rate. Even lower for repeat takers. I ended up passing the second time. 

Edited by Drewism
  • Like 1

that sucks. Whats the motive to retake it when you see that 44% pass rate. 

50 minutes ago, ashmur90 said:

Power exam is awful.

• Like 1

CompEng has only 16 test takers total...wonder if that means it’ll eventually suffer the same fate as SoftEng...

1 minute ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

CompEng has only 16 test takers total...wonder if that means it’ll eventually suffer the same fate as SoftEng...

Nowadays people think that a computer engineer is just a programmer, more often than not.  It wouldn't surprise me to see that side taken over by Comp Sci people.

4 minutes ago, EngrPaper said:

Nowadays people think that a computer engineer is just a programmer, more often than not.  It wouldn't surprise me to see that side taken over by Comp Sci people.

That would be an interesting shift, since there are also hardware concepts involved in computer engineering. Last I remember there was very little hardware design in degree tracks for comp sci.

11 minutes ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

software had 17.  not much different. 

Since i am not from the industry. Can someone enlighten me as in why a comp eng or software person would need a PE? 

7 minutes ago, NikR said:

Since i am not from the industry. Can someone enlighten me as in why a comp eng or software person would need a PE? 

In many cases, they don’t. Both fall under industry exemption.

The biggest reason I could see would be if specific computer hardware or a specific software program had the potential to cause harm to the general public.

I took the CompEng exam, but I don’t practice in that area per se...I chose the exam because it is considered an electrical exam (I practice in electrical), and it would give me the best chance of success since it also contained a good amount of software questions (I also practice in software).

Edited by ChebyshevII_PE
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NikR said:

Software is no longer going to be administered; there just weren’t enough test takers for NCEES to justify it.

4 minutes ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

The biggest reason I could see would be if specific computer hardware or a specific software program had the potential to cause harm to the general public.

Well with all the hoopla with facebook and google. it would be funny if the states actually try regulating the industry and require people to be licensed. 

Just now, NikR said:

Well with all the hoopla with facebook and google. it would be funny if the states actually try regulating the industry and require people to be licensed. 

Good luck with that. Part of the reason there was such a small turnout for the software exam was because Microsoft and Silicone Valley balked at the idea that their guys had to be licensed to be considered “engineers.”

Just now, ChebyshevII_PE said:

Good luck with that. Part of the reason there was such a small turnout for the software exam was because Microsoft and Silicone Valley balked at the idea that their guys had to be licensed to be considered “engineers.”

yup. Thats why I said "try"  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LyceeFruit said:

Power exam is awful.

Truth. When I tell people the pass rates for power, they basically fall out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

I was one of the 12(!) first-time test takers. I can almost seeing it going away as well.

1 hour ago, EngrPaper said:

That would be an interesting shift, since there are also hardware concepts involved in computer engineering. Last I remember there was very little hardware design in degree tracks for comp sci.

I have a hard time believing CompSci would be very sucessful for the same reason. Hardware description language is a large portion of the test, and they generally don't see FPGAs. It would take a lot of studying to be successful. Not impossible; just difficult.

1 hour ago, NikR said:

In many cases, they don’t. Both fall under industry exemption.

I took the CompEng exam, but I don’t practice in that area per se...I chose the exam because it is considered an electrical exam (I practice in electrical), and it would give me the best chance of success since it also contained a good amount of software questions (I also practice in software).

Personally, I work in a utility industry which values licensure. For example, becoming a lead or principal engineer requires advance degree or licensure. Taking time to earn a technical masters degree is a much more difficult road to sled in my opinion.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, solidorange said:

I have a hard time believing CompSci would be very sucessful for the same reason. Hardware description language is a large portion of the test, and they generally don't see FPGAs. It would take a lot of studying to be successful. Not impossible; just difficult.

Personally, I work in a utility industry which values licensure. For example, becoming a lead or principal engineer requires advance degree or licensure. Taking time to earn a technical masters degree is a much more difficult road to sled in my opinion.

Thanks for the insight!

8 minutes ago, solidorange said:

I'm not saying they would be successful, merely that in the realm of public opinion, CompSci people are more and more being called "Computer Engineers."  That doens't change reality for people, like you, who are "in the know."  But it does affect new graduates and people entering the industry.

The Power exam is a soul crushing monster.  The NCEES gods blessed me with a pass and I'm almost more excited not to have to take the test again than I am to get licensed.  Best of luck to you guys signing up for next October/next April.

• Like 2