Pass Rate Updates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CompEng has only 16 test takers total...wonder if that means it’ll eventually suffer the same fate as SoftEng...
I was one of the 12(!) first-time test takers. I can almost seeing it going away as well.

Nowadays people think that a computer engineer is just a programmer, more often than not.  It wouldn't surprise me to see that side taken over by Comp Sci people.

That would be an interesting shift, since there are also hardware concepts involved in computer engineering. Last I remember there was very little hardware design in degree tracks for comp sci.
I have a hard time believing CompSci would be very sucessful for the same reason. Hardware description language is a large portion of the test, and they generally don't see FPGAs. It would take a lot of studying to be successful. Not impossible; just difficult.

software had 17.  not much different. 

Since i am not from the industry. Can someone enlighten me as in why a comp eng or software person would need a PE? 

In many cases, they don’t. Both fall under industry exemption.

The biggest reason I could see would be if specific computer hardware or a specific software program had the potential to cause harm to the general public.

I took the CompEng exam, but I don’t practice in that area per se...I chose the exam because it is considered an electrical exam (I practice in electrical), and it would give me the best chance of success since it also contained a good amount of software questions (I also practice in software).
Personally, I work in a utility industry which values licensure. For example, becoming a lead or principal engineer requires advance degree or licensure. Taking time to earn a technical masters degree is a much more difficult road to sled in my opinion.

I have a hard time believing CompSci would be very sucessful for the same reason. Hardware description language is a large portion of the test, and they generally don't see FPGAs. It would take a lot of studying to be successful. Not impossible; just difficult.

Personally, I work in a utility industry which values licensure. For example, becoming a lead or principal engineer requires advance degree or licensure. Taking time to earn a technical masters degree is a much more difficult road to sled in my opinion.
Thanks for the insight!

I'm not saying they would be successful, merely that in the realm of public opinion, CompSci people are more and more being called "Computer Engineers."  That doens't change reality for people, like you, who are "in the know."  But it does affect new graduates and people entering the industry.

The Power exam is a soul crushing monster.  The NCEES gods blessed me with a pass and I'm almost more excited not to have to take the test again than I am to get licensed.  Best of luck to you guys signing up for next October/next April.

The Power exam is a soul crushing monster.  The NCEES gods blessed me with a pass and I'm almost more excited not to have to take the test again than I am to get licensed.  Best of luck to you guys signing up for next October/next April.
It truly is. I've passed as well. I'm most excited about the fact that I don't have to see the exam, practice questions or other reference material again. That's how difficult it was.

I am truly concerned about the pass rate for Civil Construction. Why so low?! 
It's always low because people who don't have a specific sub-discipline/technical background often decide to take construction because its not as deep as other disciplines.  They don't have as much technical knowledge and it makes the exam much harder.  I am one of those people in that boat but opted to study and take geotech instead.

LMAO power and it's terrible passing rate. Not surprised. Hopefuly third time is the charm.
go crap, idk what's going with with my computer, didn't realized i post when I it keeps telling me to wait 

Last edited by a moderator:
go crap, idk what's going with with my computer, didn't realized i post when I it keeps telling me to wait 
I used NCEES practice exam, Camara practice exams, PPI stuff, School of PE stuff, all the required code books, info on protective relaying and batteries.

I used NCEES practice exam, Camara practice exams, PPI stuff, School of PE stuff, all the required code books, info on protective relaying and batteries.
Idk if you plan to take it again or not, but if you are, maybe get the engineer pro guide.  At least get the practice exam questions.  I find them to be very helpful.   

It's lower than normal, but doesn't it typically have the lowest pass rate of the CivE's?
I've been watching it pretty closely and you're right, it does. I thought the numbers seemed low because it's relatively new compared to the other disciplines. I was hoping for a progressive upswing. 

Back