EIT License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
Hey guys I passed FE from NY board.  How do you get an EIT certification? How long it takes and how much money the state wants? You don't have to get this in certain time frame after passing. You can get this anytime correct? 

I never bought mine because its not required to do so,  but I believe its about $70. You can purchase it anytime before you take the PE. Once you become a PE,  you cant buy the EIT certificate. But I'd call the state to verify this. Congrats on passing! 

I think your state board would be the best reference for this. So many differences from state to state. 

I never bought mine because its not required to do so,  but I believe its about $70. You can purchase it anytime before you take the PE. Once you become a PE,  you cant buy the EIT certificate. But I'd call the state to verify this. Congrats on passing! 
I guess once you become PE, you should not need EIT? Do you guys think of any reason for getting EIT? If you pass PE you don't need EIT and up until you pass PE, the EIT is available for you, so either way you are safe? Am I missing anything here?    

I would do things slowly and in order.  You may not need the EIT to sit for the PE, but you may need your EIT to apply for PE licensure i.e. they may ask you for your number.  I’d take all the necessary steps your board requires to obtain your EIT number.  Then I would take all necessary steps to option your PE license.  Otherwise you may find yourself applying for an EIT in conjunction with your PE and stalling the whole process.  Plus you may be an EIT for a while, depending on years of experience and your ability to pass the PE exam. 

Back