PE exam by engineer from Canada?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestos_WC

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long story short - APEGA (The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) required me to take the FE exam in order to get my license in Alberta, Canada. I'm internationally educated, I took my BSc in Poland and MSc in England, hence this weird requirement. Anyways, I found out that I passed the exam two days ago.

... and that's what made me think - why stop half way? Take the PE exam, get your license in the US. I'm probably never going to use it as I am happy where I am, but why stop now. 

Does anyone know what is the best board to register with in the case like mine? I was thinking about Texas, as Texas does a lot of oil and gas structures like Alberta so there is a chance that I could make some use of my PE license in the US, but I don't know how they would treat a case like mine. I know that Engineers Canada has some sort of agreement with Texas Board of Engineers, but the only thing that I found based on that is that Texas Board accepts engineers from Canada and waives the requirement for US citizenship/visa/permanent residency. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

Long story short - APEGA (The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) required me to take the FE exam in order to get my license in Alberta, Canada. I'm internationally educated, I took my BSc in Poland and MSc in England, hence this weird requirement. Anyways, I found out that I passed the exam two days ago.

... and that's what made me think - why stop half way? Take the PE exam, get your license in the US. I'm probably never going to use it as I am happy where I am, but why stop now. 

Does anyone know what is the best board to register with in the case like mine? I was thinking about Texas, as Texas does a lot of oil and gas structures like Alberta so there is a chance that I could make some use of my PE license in the US, but I don't know how they would treat a case like mine. I know that Engineers Canada has some sort of agreement with Texas Board of Engineers, but the only thing that I found based on that is that Texas Board accepts engineers from Canada and waives the requirement for US citizenship/visa/permanent residency. Any suggestions?
I know that New York accepts Canadian applicants (I've seen licenses issued to people form both Ontario and Quebec) , so I assume most US States would allow it.  In general, the States I have worked with for 'other' licenses tend to be most amenable to "connected" States and Canadian provinces.  I just took a quick look at the map, and appears Montana is the closest one to you, so I would try there first.  I have also heard the Washington State has a number of people licensed from Canada as a whole.

Latest posts

Back