April 2018 WR and ENV - How do you feel?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyke

Reaction score
Wondering how you felt about the exam, specially the WR and Env depth. Did you feel it was easy? Moderate? Hard? Insane?

Please don't discuss any problems! Don't want anyone getting in trouble!

I'm a second-timer; I felt the test was a lot easier than the first time I took it, so I'm wondering if all the studying I did paid off OR if the test was indeed easier... 

I know, I know its all relative..either way ... tell me what you think!

I felt the morning was fairly straightforward and the afternoon was more challenging than I expected.  I'm a second-timer also, and definitely think I did better than my first time (I also studied for 180 hrs this time, vs about 50 last time).  In the morning I was confident on probably 34 of my answers; there were several conceptual questions where I easily narrowed it down to two answers, but struggled with the final choice.  Just went with my gut on those and didn't second guess myself.  

The afternoon I got to the end and has skipped 10 or so, and managed to figure out 3-4 of those I had skipped out, so I'm hoping I got at least 33-34 right in the afternoon as well.  I honestly got a little flustered at one point in the afternoon section because I had skipped I think 4 in a row and got slightly discouraged.  There were definitely a few off-the-wall WTF questions on the afternoon, but there were some that were so stupidly easy to offset those oddballs.  

Overall, I think I definitely did better than the last time I took it (got a 43/80 the first time), but I don't feel like I completely crushed it.  I am struggling with re-thinking my answers on a lot of the questions....just need to unplug for at least the next month and a half!

Good luck to everybody!  Hope you all pass! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a first time taker and was my own worst enemy.  On the drive home I realized 10+ stupid mistakes I made on the morning exam, including changing a correct answer to an incorrect answer in literally the last minute because I thought the answer I chose was too obvious to be correct.  Given that I make a normal number of mistakes in the best of circumstances, I'm planning on the fall exam because i screwed up so many questions in the morning.

Overall i felt that the morning and afternoon were really fair and well written.  I wish my brain had showed up in better shape.

I'm a first time taker and was my own worst enemy.  On the drive home I realized 10+ stupid mistakes I made on the morning exam, including changing a correct answer to an incorrect answer in literally the last minute because I thought the answer I chose was too obvious to be correct.  Given that I make a normal number of mistakes in the best of circumstances, I'm planning on the fall exam because i screwed up so many questions in the morning.

Overall i felt that the morning and afternoon were really fair and well written.  I wish my brain had showed up in better shape.
Chin up, you never know what will happen!  And if you have to retake, it's not the end of the world.  

I feel good.  I thought the morning was an average difficulty, with a handful of tricky questions.  I breezed through the afternoon portion, but there were 5/6 questions that I could not figure out or find a relevant section in the CERM, and ended up taking an attempt on them to hopefully eliminate some incorrect answers. Hopefully after their magic test grading method, I end up passing. 

I am on my third time. This time I took EET this time (both breadth and depth) and a lot of what I studied helped me get through the test. I think I guessed on 5-7 problems out of the 80 (I guessed on 3 in the afternoon and don't remember how many in the morning. I felt good this time around and feel like I passed this time! I was able to solve for an answer that was right or I feel confident enough that was right. I really want to pass since is my third time!

I am on my third time. This time I took EET this time (both breadth and depth) and a lot of what I studied helped me get through the test. I think I guessed on 5-7 problems out of the 80 (I guessed on 3 in the afternoon and don't remember how many in the morning. I felt good this time around and feel like I passed this time! I was able to solve for an answer that was right or I feel confident enough that was right. I really want to pass since is my third time!
How did you feel the other 2 times you failed? Were you feeling as confident as now, or did you know you had blown it?

How did you feel the other 2 times you failed? Were you feeling as confident as now, or did you know you had blown it?
The first time I think I got 53% overall and the second was similar. I thought I was right on the edge of passing each time, but I was not as confident in my answers in general. Taking the review class (EET) really helped! I was not as confident as I was this time. I didn't think I failed the first 2 times, but I did not feel like I passed like I do this time.

@mlavanway I am in the same boat as you. This was my third time as well. I took EET depth only. The morning I felt was alright. The Structural problems always get me. I was terrible at them. Even if they seem like easy problems, I probably over thought them tremendously. Afternoon was pretty good for me. Had the right equation on one but just could not get the answer I wanted and then guessed on a couple as well. I also felt like I passed the first two times but this time feels different for me too. EET is highly recommended @Tyke if you for some reason don't pass this time. But I think we are all good and will finally pass and get this behind us!   

@mlavanway I am in the same boat as you. This was my third time as well. I took EET depth only. The morning I felt was alright. The Structural problems always get me. I was terrible at them. Even if they seem like easy problems, I probably over thought them tremendously. Afternoon was pretty good for me. Had the right equation on one but just could not get the answer I wanted and then guessed on a couple as well. I also felt like I passed the first two times but this time feels different for me too. EET is highly recommended @Tyke if you for some reason don't pass this time. But I think we are all good and will finally pass and get this behind us!   
the EET Breadth helped me. I figured since this was my third time, I was going all in and spending the time and money to pass this test! EET really helped me (as everyone else on his forum as talked about and why I signed up for them) and I mostly used their binder if not for all the morning problems. I am just praying that I pass this as I want to get back to spending time with my kids.

the EET Breadth helped me. I figured since this was my third time, I was going all in and spending the time and money to pass this test! EET really helped me (as everyone else on his forum as talked about and why I signed up for them) and I mostly used their binder if not for all the morning problems. I am just praying that I pass this as I want to get back to spending time with my kids.
Yeah I hear ya. I am done with this test! We should definitely be focusing on other things in our lives finally. 

Yeah I hear ya. I am done with this test! We should definitely be focusing on other things in our lives finally. 
Did you take other review course and failed twice before signing up for EET? I am considering taking the EET course.

Also my third time taking the test.  I felt good with the flow and the difficulty of the questions for Civil WRE exam.  I knew it would be a grueling battle sitting for 8 hours answering questions and it didn't disappoint.  However, it was nice to have the EET binder for the WRE PM depth session.  I was able to answer many problems by just plugging and chugging equations.  While studying and solving hundreds of practice problems I noticed that it is very easy to get the wrong answer for simple questions.  I made a habit to underline all key points in the word problems and try to narrow down theory questions to at least two choices before deciding which is the best answer.  The first time I took the exam I pretty much knew I failed 40/80 (61%).  The second time I thought I passed, but I failed and scored 44/80 (68%).   This is the third time taking the exam and I think I scored at least 50/80 so I feel like I should pass.  Failing it again would be devastating and I would have to wait out a year to attempt again per Texas Board rules.  Hopefully I passed, because I'm not sure if my family and I have the time and patience to go through another round of exam prep.  Third time's the charm.

Also my third time taking the test.  I felt good with the flow and the difficulty of the questions for Civil WRE exam.  I knew it would be a grueling battle sitting for 8 hours answering questions and it didn't disappoint.  However, it was nice to have the EET binder for the WRE PM depth session.  I was able to answer many problems by just plugging and chugging equations.  While studying and solving hundreds of practice problems I noticed that it is very easy to get the wrong answer for simple questions.  I made a habit to underline all key points in the word problems and try to narrow down theory questions to at least two choices before deciding which is the best answer.  The first time I took the exam I pretty much knew I failed 40/80 (61%).  The second time I thought I passed, but I failed and scored 44/80 (68%).   This is the third time taking the exam and I think I scored at least 50/80 so I feel like I should pass.  Failing it again would be devastating and I would have to wait out a year to attempt again per Texas Board rules.  Hopefully I passed, because I'm not sure if my family and I have the time and patience to go through another round of exam prep.  Third time's the charm.
I also made it a point to narrow down the analytical problems to two before I decided. Some were worded just silly. Had to readjust how it was asked in my head so it would be clearer. It's like I described in my post above, it's too bad when you potentially miss the ones you know you have an equation to but your doing something slightly wrong. Oh well, third time's the charm indeed! I did not leave with an immediate headache after I was done. So I feel that in itself was a win! 

The headache part is true on my second attempt.  I came out of the exam drained and don't know how i was going to drive home in traffic.  This third time I came out of the exam feeling relieved, hopefully its a sign of relief of passing.  I was ready to hit happy hour, but I went to go pick up some nice food to go with some adult beverages and enjoy dinner with my family.  

So I had been thinking about a question on the exam and was debating whether or not I did it right. I just confirmed I made a mistake and got the wrong answer. Man it is so depressing to know you missed an easy point. I even had an example I could have looked at to confirm. Apparently just didn't think about looking or was pressed on time. Idk. Very frustrating...

So I had been thinking about a question on the exam and was debating whether or not I did it right. I just confirmed I made a mistake and got the wrong answer. Man it is so depressing to know you missed an easy point. I even had an example I could have looked at to confirm. Apparently just didn't think about looking or was pressed on time. Idk. Very frustrating...
Hmm i was just checking my study material the other day and noticed they looked very similar to the some exam problems.  I don't even remember how I solved it during the exam.  Hopefully, I picked the right answer.  There is just not enough time during the exam to check all notes to confirm every problem.  I guess I only checked the references when I hit a problem that was difficult.  One problem could be the difference between failing and being a PE.  This result waiting game is frustrating.

Back